Magnetic field of a current loop

In summary, a magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected, created by the movement of electrically charged particles. It is created by a current loop when electric current flows through it, with the direction of the current determining the direction of the magnetic field. The strength of the magnetic field is affected by the current, number of turns, and size and shape of the loop. This magnetic field has practical applications in electric motors, generators, MRI machines, compasses, and magnetic sensors for navigation and positioning.
MahalMuh
Homework Statement
Circular current loop with radius of R = 0.3 cm and current I = 1.4 A

Calculate the magnetic field B within the distances of a) x1 = 0.17 cm and b) x2 = 2.3 cm from the axis.
Relevant Equations
B = (u0/2) * (IR^2) / (x^2 + R^2)^(3/2)
This should be pretty straightforward and my take gives B = 0.000193*T for a) and B = 0.00000063 T for b).

Or have I misunderstood something?

Attachments

• 1612085771788.png
    1612085771788.png
    302 bytes · Views: 106
Physics news on Phys.org
I’m not passing the grader with the above answer.

It seems the B equation is for its x-directed component. To derive B just need the angle. Solved.

MahalMuh said:
[Calculate the magnetic field B within the distances of a) x1 = 0.17 cm and b) x2 = 2.3 cm from the axis.
"From the axis"? Should be "from the coil plane"? Or a diametric axis?
"The axis" is usually understood to be the coil's major axis.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and is represented by magnetic field lines that show the direction and strength of the field.

2. How is a magnetic field created by a current loop?

A current loop is a closed path through which an electric current flows. When current flows through the loop, it creates a magnetic field around it. The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the direction of the current flow, following the right-hand rule.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in a current loop?

The strength of the magnetic field in a current loop is affected by the number of turns in the loop, the amount of current flowing through it, and the radius of the loop. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger magnetic field.

4. How does the direction of the magnetic field change as you move away from a current loop?

The direction of the magnetic field around a current loop follows a specific pattern. As you move away from the loop, the direction of the field changes from pointing towards the center of the loop to pointing parallel to the loop's axis.

5. How is the strength of the magnetic field calculated in a current loop?

The strength of the magnetic field in a current loop can be calculated using the formula B = μ0I/2r, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the loop, and r is the radius of the loop. This formula is known as the Biot-Savart law.