Magnetic field of an infinite wire

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
asi123
Messages
254
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Hey guys.
So I've got a current which goes through an infinite wire and I need to find the magnetic field which is caused by the wire at point P.
I used the Biot–Savart Law and in the picture you can see what I came up with (sorry, no scanner today, I had to do it the short way :smile:).
So, my question is, how am I suppose to get from the green equation to the red one? I took the red equation from their answers.
Am I missing something?

Thanks.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Attachments
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 485
Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to recheck the Green equation, it seems that you did not integrate correctly.
 
Hootenanny said:
You might want to recheck the Green equation, it seems that you did not integrate correctly.

Ops, my bag, how am I suppose to integrate it? :blushing:
 
asi123 said:
Ops, my bag, how am I suppose to integrate it? :blushing:
No problem. That integral looks almost like a standard integral and can be evaluated using the same substitution as you would use for the standard integral... :wink: