Magnetic field on charged cloud

• I
  • Thread starter d4rr3n
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

An electron beam can be curved into a loop using a magnetic field with flux lines at right angles to the electron beam. These electrons have a high kinetic energy leaving the electron gun.

My question is how would a magnetic field effect motionless charged particles for example a cloud of negatively ionised gas, would it also form into a loop. I'm thinking of the auroral oval around the Earth's poles

Answers and Replies

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The effect on the beam is the same as the effect on a single electron with velocity ##v## ... the magnitude force is ##F=evB## and it points at right angles to both ##\vec v## and ##\vec B## ... the effect on a cloud of stationary electrons is the same as the effect on a single stationary electron...

(... well, there is also the effect of the electrons on each other.)

The effect on the beam is the same as the effect on a single electron with velocity ##v## ... the magnitude force is ##F=evB## and it points at right angles to both ##\vec v## and ##\vec B## ... the effect on a cloud of stationary electrons is the same as the effect on a single stationary electron...

(... well, there is also the effect of the electrons on each other.)

Thanks,

I have read elsewhere that a magnetic field has no effect on a stationary charged particle i.e. it does not cause a stationary charge to move or to aline to the magnetic field in any way.