1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field [Perpendicular wires]

Tags:
  1. Oct 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2015-10-16_20-37-55.png

2. Relevant equations
    Biot-Savart Law: ## dB = μIdl/4πr^2
    F = ILxB

3. The attempt at a solution

I have not tried to solve it. BUT, please check my approach. I wanna make sure my method is correct and whether there is a flaw or no.

I am trying to set up an integral here. I am to integrate it from from ## d+L ## to ## d ##. To do so, I will ignore the current in ## I_2 ## while integrating. Then, once I found ## B ## created by ## I_1 ## (which is "into the plane." [Meaning force acting on ## I_2 ## is in the same direction as ## I_2 ##

What is wrong up until now?

Well, here I am not sure how to find F acting on ## I_2 ##... Does ## F = IL(dot)B ## work?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2015 #2
    I don't think you need to integrate along the infinite wire to find the magnetic field ##\vec{B}## it creates. You can just use the well-known result.

But you will need to integrate along the short wire, using the limits of integration you mentioned. Integrate

##d \vec{F}=I \ d \vec{L} \times \vec {B}##

to find the force.

4. Oct 17, 2015 #3
    So, I can just use B = μI/2πr, where r is distance from wire 1 to wire 2, to find the Magnetic field that ## I_1 ## creating?

Can you shortly explain the reason behind not integrating to find ## B ##? I am not quite clear on that...

5. Oct 17, 2015 #4
    The distance from (the closest point along) Wire 1 to each differential element ##d \vec{L}## in Wire 2, yes.

Integrating along the infinitely-long Wire 1 to determine the magnetic field ##\vec {B}## will result in the well-known expression ##\frac{\mu_oI}{2 \pi r}## for its magnitude. You will then have to use that result to perform the other integration (the one I described in my first post) to find ##\vec{F}##. I don't think it's your prof's intention that you do both integrals as the first one is found in every textbook.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted