1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field strength between two wires

1. Feb 11, 2010 #1
    wire 1 has a current of 1A directed into the page, wire 2 is 20 cm to the right of wire 1 with a current of 1A, what direction does this current have to flow in order for the magnetic field strength at the mid point between them to be non zero ?

from the right hand rule the mag field from wire 1 would be counterclockwise around the wire so the current on wire 2 would have to be the same direction - into the page with a counterclockwise field other wise the fields would cancel

do i haev this correct & did i explain myself properly ? the next part of the Question depends on this answer
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2010 #2
    The current into the page gives a clockwise field via the right hand rule, if I'm not mistaken. Draw a picture, I think you came up with the wrong conclusions.
  4. Feb 12, 2010 #3
    thanks for pointing that out, i have drawn a picture of the wire and i can see now that the current is clockwise, so i think that the current in the other wise also needs to be into the page otehrwise they will cancel,

the next part of the question is -
    Consider a general point on the line joining the two wires and a distance d away from the mid-point O. By summing the magnetic field due to currents of magnitude i flowing in both the wires in the senses you found.

show that, on the line joining the two wires, the magnetic field strength is given by
    B= μo iD/ PI (D^2 − d^2 )

I know the equation is

B = μo i / 2*pi*d

and (D^2-d^2) can become (D+d)(D-d) but i dont know where to go from there
  5. Feb 12, 2010 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook