Magnetic Field Strength at a Point Along an Infinite Wire

In summary, the problem asks for the magnitude of the magnetic field at the point (0,L) due to a current I flowing on the x-axis from the origin to infinity. The given equation for the magnetic field is B = u sub 0 * I / (2 pi R), but the professor's solution states that B' = 1/2 B and therefore the answer is u sub 0 * I / (4pi L). It is unclear why this equation for B' is used, but it could be due to the wire going from negative infinity to positive infinity and only considering half of the total current. However, the non-physical nature of the problem and the lack of explanation make it problematic. It is suggested to
frostking

Homework Statement

A current I flows to the right on the x-axis from the origin to x = infinity. What's the magnitude of the magnetic field at (x,y) = (0,L)?

Homework Equations

B = u sub 0 time I/(2 pi R)

The Attempt at a Solution

We use above equation since we have an extremely long wire. I would think I should just replace the R for the L as the given point value of y. However, this is an old exam question and the professor's solution states that B ' = 1/2 B and therefore the answer is:

u sub 0 times I / (4pi L) Could someone please explain why the statement of B' = 1/2 B makes sense. If I know that then of course the answer in the exam key would make perfect sense! Thanks for your time and effort, Frostking

Physics news on Phys.org
frostking said:

Homework Statement

A current I flows to the right on the x-axis from the origin to x = infinity. What's the magnitude of the magnetic field at (x,y) = (0,L)?

Homework Equations

B = u sub 0 time I/(2 pi R)

The Attempt at a Solution

We use above equation since we have an extremely long wire. I would think I should just replace the R for the L as the given point value of y. However, this is an old exam question and the professor's solution states that B ' = 1/2 B and therefore the answer is:

u sub 0 times I / (4pi L) Could someone please explain why the statement of B' = 1/2 B makes sense. If I know that then of course the answer in the exam key would make perfect sense! Thanks for your time and effort, Frostking

The only thing I can think of is the strange statement that the current flows "right on the x-axis from the origin to x = infinity". How does the current return from infinity to the origin? It can't just magically appear at the origin and flow away. Is there a diagram associated with the problem?

There is no diagram and no explanation of this magical B' that he comes up with. The only thing I can figure is that the wire goes from negative infinity to positive infinity and therefore we are only considering 1/2 of the total. What do you think of that? Thanks for your time! Frostking

frostking said:
There is no diagram and no explanation of this magical B' that he comes up with. The only thing I can figure is that the wire goes from negative infinity to positive infinity and therefore we are only considering 1/2 of the total. What do you think of that? Thanks for your time! Frostking

Yeah, that seems to be what is being asked, but the non-physical nature of the question is problematic. Maybe try different ways of routing the current back to the origin, to see if you can cancel out the x-component of the B-field that would result from only counting the current from the origin to infinity... ?

Thanks for your input. I hope the test tomorrow night has more concrete questions! Frostking

What is magnetic field strength?

Magnetic field strength, also known as magnetic flux density, is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field at a particular point in space. It is represented by the symbol B and is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G).

How is magnetic field strength measured?

Magnetic field strength can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This instrument is designed to detect and measure the strength of magnetic fields. The most common type of magnetometer is a Hall effect sensor, which uses the Hall effect to measure the strength of a magnetic field.

What factors affect magnetic field strength?

The strength of a magnetic field is influenced by several factors, including the magnitude of the electric current, the distance from the source of the field, and the properties of the material in which the field is present. The shape and orientation of the magnetic field source can also affect its strength.

How does magnetic field strength affect objects?

Magnetic field strength can have various effects on objects, depending on their properties and the strength of the field. For example, a strong magnetic field can attract or repel certain materials, such as iron or other ferromagnetic materials. It can also induce currents in conductive materials, which can produce heat or other effects.

How is magnetic field strength used in everyday life?

Magnetic field strength has many practical applications in everyday life. It is used in various electronic devices, such as speakers, motors, and generators. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines also use strong magnetic fields to produce detailed images of the inside of the body. Magnetic field strength is also used in navigation, as a compass needle aligns with the Earth's magnetic field, and in magnetic levitation technology.