1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Fields and Current Loops

1. Mar 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A long, straight wire carries a current of 14 A. Next to the wire is a square loop with sides 1.0m in length. The loop carries a current of 2.5A in the same direction as the wire. Calculate the net force acting on the wire.

2. Relevant equations

Walker.22.60.jpg

Magnetic Field for long, straight wire: permeability of free space*I/ 2pi*radius

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the net force is the two forces from the wire and the loop, but I don't understand how to calculate the 2 different magnetic fields.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Find the magnetic field due to long , straight at a distance 0.2 m and 1.2 m.
    In square loop, upper conductor carries a current parallel to the long wire. So the attract each other. Current in lower limb in anti parallel. So it will experience a repulsive force.
    Find out the formula for the force on a current carrying conductor in a magnetic field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook