1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Flux of Earth onto myself

1. Mar 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Estimate the magnetic flux (due to the Earth's field) through your body (back to front) if you stand facing North. What will be the net change in flux if you turn and face South?

2. Relevant equations

Gauss's Law and variants
    [tex]\oint E\bullet dA [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    In the past, for simple problems we would always just basically do Qenclosed/Epsilon0.
    But to be honest, I don't know where to head in this case.
    This problem is suppose to be more conceptual than an actual answer, but I'm missing something apparently.

If someone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2009 #2
    I think it is pretty musc the same as your electirc flux questions.

[tex]\int B\bullet dA =\phi_{m}[/tex]

Since you will be orthogonal to the B field, and the B field is constant the integral becomes trivial, and is just your bodies surface area. Provided your at the equator.

4. Mar 1, 2009 #3
    Good point about where I am standing. I guess my prof overlooked that part of the question. But lets assume I am at the equator. Would I be using the equation B * A? B being the force of the Earth's magnetic field, and A being my body's surface area?

5. Mar 1, 2009 #4
    Yes, I think so. You can probably assume also that your are two-dimaensional (ie no depth) or treat yourself like a uniform cylinder.

6. Mar 1, 2009 #5
    Just a quick clarification, sorry. Would I be using the surface area of my body, or the surface area of the earth? I would almost think the surface area of my body would be negligible.

7. Mar 1, 2009 #6
    The question asks for the flux through your body, so it would be silly not to use that. Your right, compared to the size of the Earth you are tiny, but that is irrelevant here. Flux is relative to the area and the field strength, nothing else matters. Hope this helps (Sorry, I'm in the UK and it is getting late here, so I'm a bit tired).

8. Mar 1, 2009 #7
    Sure does, thanks for all your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook