Magnetic flux through a 2m square conductor at 30 degrees

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
jimmy_neutron
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I have a question dealing with magnetic flux that I cannot seem to get. Please help

Question= A 2m conductor is formed into a square and placed in the xy plane. a magnetic field is oriented 30 degrees above the horizontal with a strength of 6T. What is the magnetic flux through the conductor?
I would solve this by using the equation: Flux = BAcos(theta) = (6T)(2^2)cos30 = 20.8
however this answer is incorrect. can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong
thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you want the angle the field makes with the normal to the plane of the square - not 30 degrees.
 
ok, can you help me find the angle needed for the equation.
 
I would draw a diagram. Draw the plane as a horizontal line, then draw in the normal. Next draw in a line representing the magnetic field, lable the angle between the magnetic field and the plane. You want the angle between the magnetic field and the normal.

Hope this helps :smile:
 
Theta would be the angle between the Field and the Area Vector.

Try using your hands :-)