Magnetic Force away from Long Pair of Wires

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Tjvelcro
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A long pair of wires conducts 20.2 (amps) od dc current to, and from, an instrument. The wires are 23mm apart, what is the magnetic field 9.7cm from their midpoint in their plane?

Homework Equations



B=(µo/2pi)*(I/d)


The Attempt at a Solution



µo = 4pix10^-7
I = 20.2 amps
d = ? = distance to the wire

I first need to find d for one wire then d for the other so I can combine them to get the total Magnetic force at the point 9.7cm away from the wires.

I have the answer from the back of the book and it says 1.00x10^-5 but I don't know how to get it.

First I drew a diagram

___________________ Wire 1
23mm between
___________________ Wire 2


. Point 9.7 cm from the midpoint of the plane.

Then I used the formula twice, once for each wire but I don't get the right answer

Thanks

Tjvelcro
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I was not using my calculator correctly. Brackets are very helpful :p