1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Magnetic Force, Electric Force

1. Sep 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    24. A uniform magnetic field is in the positive z direction. A positively charged particle is moving in the positive x direction through the field. The net force on the particle can be made zero by applying an electric field in what direction?
    A. Positive y
    B. Negative y
    C. Positive x
    D. Negative x
    E. Positive z

2. Relevant equations

F = q* (vxB)
    F = q*E

3. The attempt at a solution

The answer for this problem is given and in my book it's given as B. However, I keep getting A. I don't know where I'm going wrong.

So if the positive particle is moving in the positive x-direction and the B-field is in the positive z direction, then the resulting magnetic force is in the negative y-direction. And if we want a net force of zero on this positive particle, then it seems like if we apply an electric field in the positive y direction then we could get the net zero force that we're looking for. Is this an incorrect explanation?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2010 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I agree with you. I think the book is wrong. Anyone else?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook