Magnetic Force, Electric Force

In summary, a positively charged particle moving in the positive x direction through a uniform magnetic field in the positive z direction will experience a magnetic force in the negative y direction. To make the net force on the particle zero, an electric field can be applied in the positive y direction. This is the most likely explanation, as the book's answer of applying an electric field in the negative y direction would result in a net force in the positive y direction, not zero.
eprparadox

Homework Statement

24. A uniform magnetic field is in the positive z direction. A positively charged particle is moving in the positive x direction through the field. The net force on the particle can be made zero by applying an electric field in what direction?
A. Positive y
B. Negative y
C. Positive x
D. Negative x
E. Positive z

Homework Equations

F = q* (vxB)
F = q*E

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer for this problem is given and in my book it's given as B. However, I keep getting A. I don't know where I'm going wrong.

So if the positive particle is moving in the positive x-direction and the B-field is in the positive z direction, then the resulting magnetic force is in the negative y-direction. And if we want a net force of zero on this positive particle, then it seems like if we apply an electric field in the positive y direction then we could get the net zero force that we're looking for. Is this an incorrect explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you. I think the book is wrong. Anyone else?

1. What is the difference between magnetic force and electric force?

Magnetic force is the force exerted between two objects with magnetic properties, while electric force is the force between two objects with electric charges.

2. How are magnetic force and electric force related?

Magnetic force and electric force are both components of the electromagnetic force, which is one of the four fundamental forces of nature.

3. How do magnetic and electric fields interact?

Magnetic fields and electric fields can interact with each other, resulting in the production of electromagnetic waves.

4. How are magnetic force and electric force calculated?

Magnetic force is calculated using the formula F = qvBsinθ, where q is the charge, v is the velocity, B is the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and magnetic field. Electric force is calculated using the formula F = k(q1q2)/r2, where k is the Coulomb constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

5. How do magnetic and electric forces affect everyday life?

Magnetic and electric forces play a crucial role in many everyday technologies, such as electricity generation, motors, and MRI machines. They also affect the behavior of particles in the Earth's magnetic field and can cause phenomena such as the Northern Lights.