Magnetic Force in a current carrying coil

In summary, a rectangular loop with a length of 0.30 m and width of 0.12 m and a mass of 25 grams falls 0.28 m before entering a constant magnetic field. The internal resistance of the wire is 5.5 Ω. The speed of the loop when it first enters the magnetic field is 2.34 m/s. If the loop maintains a constant speed while entering the magnetic field, the magnetic force can be calculated by setting the acceleration to zero and equating it to the force of gravity, resulting in a force of 245.25 N. The magnitude of the magnetic field and induced current depend on the answer to (ii). These can be calculated using the equations BOut
nhartung

Homework Statement

A rectangular loop with length of l = 0.30 m and width w = 0.12 m and a mass of 25-grams falls (from rest) a distance of .28 m before entering a constant magnetic field that points out of the page. The internal resistance of the wire is 5.5 [tex]\Omega[/tex].

(i) What is the speed of the loop when it first enters BOut. (The magnetic field).

Here I think i can just use v = [tex]\sqrt{2gd}[/tex] = 2.34 m/s. (correct me if this is an incorrect way of finding this.)

(ii) If, while the loops enters the magnetic field, it moves at a constant speed, then what is the magnetic force.

Here I'm stuck but I am thinking there is just some equation that I am missing but I've been searching my book and haven't found anything helpful.

(iii) What is the magnitude of the magnetic field BOut.

(iv) What is the magnitude of the induced current.

I'm thinking I can use I = [tex]\frac{LBsinø}{F}[/tex] for this..

I just want to focus on (ii) right now because I think (iii) and (iv) depend on (ii)'s answer and hopefully are easy.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I think I've worked out (ii) Since the loop has constant velocity this means the acceleration is zero. This must mean the Force of Gravity and Magnetic Force are canceling each other (they are equal) which means F = mg = 245.25N. I still need some help on (iii) and (iv) though.

What is magnetic force in a current carrying coil?

Magnetic force in a current carrying coil is the force that is exerted on the coil due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the electric current flowing through it. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the magnetic field.

How is magnetic force in a current carrying coil calculated?

The magnetic force in a current carrying coil can be calculated using the equation F = BIl, where F is the force, B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current flowing through the coil, and l is the length of the coil in the magnetic field. This equation is known as the Lorentz force law.

What factors affect the strength of magnetic force in a current carrying coil?

The strength of magnetic force in a current carrying coil is affected by the current flowing through the coil, the strength of the magnetic field, and the length of the coil in the magnetic field. Additionally, the angle between the direction of the current and the magnetic field can also affect the strength of the force.

What is the direction of magnetic force in a current carrying coil?

The direction of magnetic force in a current carrying coil is always perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field. This means that the force can be either towards or away from the center of the coil, depending on the direction of the current and the magnetic field.

How is magnetic force in a current carrying coil used in real life?

Magnetic force in a current carrying coil has many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in devices like loudspeakers and MRI machines. In these applications, the force is used to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy or vice versa.