1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Force on an a Particle

1. Apr 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle with a charge of 35.7 uC moves with a speed of 61.1 m/s in the positive x direction. The magnetic field in this region of space has a component of 0.527 T in the positive y direction, and a component of 0.820 T in the positive z direction. What is the magnitude of the magnetic force on the particle?

2. Relevant equations
    magnetic F=[q]vB
    electric F=qE

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really do not know what I am doing and need help
    Here is an attempt:

F=qvB
    (3.57 e-6 C)(61.1 m/s)(0.527 T)= 1.1495 e-4 N???

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

It is almost correct, however you took the wrong value for B. What is the magnitude of B?

4. Apr 20, 2009 #3
    ok! SO I figured it out! You use pathagoreum Theorem and you end up getting that
    B= 0.9756 T
    I pluged that in and got the answert to be: 2.13 e-3 N

NOW though I don't understand what they are asking for when they ask:
    What is the direction of the magnetic force on the particle relative to the positive z-axis???
    is it just the + or - infront of the value I recieved for the force? Or is there a completely different asnwer?

5. Apr 20, 2009 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Do you know how to determine the direction of the magnetic force when given the direction of v and B? Just draw a picture so you can see how the vector is placed with respect to the z-axis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook