Magnetic Force on an a Particle

In summary, a particle with a charge of 35.7 uC moving at a speed of 61.1 m/s in the positive x direction experiences a magnetic force of 2.13 e-3 N in the direction relative to the positive z-axis, determined by the direction of the velocity and magnetic field.
mlsohani

Homework Statement

A particle with a charge of 35.7 uC moves with a speed of 61.1 m/s in the positive x direction. The magnetic field in this region of space has a component of 0.527 T in the positive y direction, and a component of 0.820 T in the positive z direction. What is the magnitude of the magnetic force on the particle?

Homework Equations

magnetic F=[q]vB
electric F=qE

The Attempt at a Solution

I really do not know what I am doing and need help
Here is an attempt:

F=qvB
(3.57 e-6 C)(61.1 m/s)(0.527 T)= 1.1495 e-4 N?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is almost correct, however you took the wrong value for B. What is the magnitude of B?

ok! SO I figured it out! You use pathagoreum Theorem and you end up getting that
B= 0.9756 T
I pluged that in and got the answert to be: 2.13 e-3 N

NOW though I don't understand what they are asking for when they ask:
What is the direction of the magnetic force on the particle relative to the positive z-axis?
is it just the + or - infront of the value I received for the force? Or is there a completely different asnwer?

Do you know how to determine the direction of the magnetic force when given the direction of v and B? Just draw a picture so you can see how the vector is placed with respect to the z-axis.

1. What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is the force that is exerted on a charged particle by a magnetic field. It is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for many phenomena, including the behavior of compass needles and the operation of electric motors.

2. How is magnetic force calculated?

The magnetic force on a particle is calculated using the equation F = qvB sinθ, where q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic force on a particle?

The strength of the magnetic force on a particle depends on the charge of the particle, the velocity of the particle, the strength of the magnetic field, and the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field. Additionally, the mass of the particle can also affect the strength of the force.

4. How does the magnetic force affect the motion of a particle?

The magnetic force can change the direction of a charged particle's motion, but it cannot change its speed. The particle will move in a circular path if the magnetic force is perpendicular to the particle's velocity, and it will move in a helical path if the force is at an angle to the velocity.

5. Can the magnetic force be used to accelerate particles?

Yes, the magnetic force can be used to accelerate particles in certain situations. For example, in a particle accelerator, magnetic fields are used to steer and focus charged particles, increasing their speed and energy.