Magnetic Interaction: parallel rods, cross bar free to slide

In summary, two parallel conducting rods with distance ℓ between them and a crossbar free to slide along them with a constant current I running through it are placed in an external uniform magnetic field of magnitude B directed out of the screen. The crossbar has a length ℓ and mass m. For Part A, the crossbar moves to the right based on the right-hand rule. For Part B, the minimum current I0 needed for the crossbar to move can be expressed as I0 = μs(mg + ILB).
MaryCate22

Homework Statement

Two horizontal parallel conducting rods are connected such that a conducting crossbar free to slide along them has a constant current I running through it (Figure 1) . The rods are separated by a distance ℓ and are in an external uniform magnetic field of magnitude B directed out of the screen. The crossbar has a length ℓ and mass m.

Part A: In which direction does the crossbar move?
Part B: If there is a coefficient of static friction μs between rods and crossbar, what is the minimum current I0 necessary for the crossbar to move? For the length ℓ of the bar use the notation L.
Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables L, B, m, μs, and the acceleration due to gravity g.

Mazur1e.ch27.p34a.jpg

Homework Equations

F=ILsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

For Part A I think it moves to the right. Got this using the right hand rule.
I'm not sure how to go about Part B.

F=I0LB

I don't know how to incorporate the coeff of friction in this. What can I set it equal to?

Physics news on Phys.org
The force on the rod due to interaction of the magnetic fields must > the force due to friction.

1. What is magnetic interaction?

Magnetic interaction is the attraction or repulsion between two objects due to their magnetic fields. This force is caused by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, within the objects.

2. How do parallel rods interact magnetically?

Parallel rods interact magnetically by either attracting or repelling each other depending on the direction of their magnetic fields. If the magnetic fields are in the same direction, the rods will attract each other. If the magnetic fields are in opposite directions, the rods will repel each other.

3. What is the role of cross bar in magnetic interaction?

The cross bar serves as a medium for the magnetic fields to interact. It allows for the transfer of magnetic forces between the parallel rods and helps to maintain their position as they slide.

4. Can the cross bar slide freely between the parallel rods?

Yes, the cross bar is free to slide between the parallel rods. This allows for the transfer of magnetic forces between the rods and also allows for adjustments in their distance from each other, which can affect the strength of their magnetic interaction.

5. How does the distance between the parallel rods affect their magnetic interaction?

The closer the parallel rods are to each other, the stronger their magnetic interaction will be. This is because the magnetic fields of the rods are more concentrated and have a greater effect on each other. As the distance between the rods increases, the magnetic interaction becomes weaker.