1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic moment of proton and electron of H-atom in ground state L=0

1. Mar 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the Hydrogen atom in a magnetic field of 2T. If the atom is in its ground state (orbital angular momentum L=0):
    (a) Write down the magnetic moments of the proton and the spinning electron. [1]

2. Relevant equations

I am aware that the magnetic moment μ = (q/2m)L

3. The attempt at a solution

but because L=0 this means that μ=0 for both the proton and the electron, which doesn't seem to me to be a valid answer.

Is this the correct way to be attacking this problem or am i missing something?

Any help with pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2012 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think it asks for the expectation value of the magnetic moment operator in the fundamental state (1s).

4. Mar 8, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the help, but I've looked at it some more alongside my lecture notes and I think what they want is:

[itex]\mu^{spin} = -2 \frac{e\hbar}{2m_{e}}m_{s} [/itex]

for the electron, and for the proton:

[itex]\mu = -2.79 \frac{e\hbar}{2m_{p}}m_{s} [/itex]

Do you think that seems reasonable? Im gonna ask the lecturer tomorrow if it is the expectation value he wants or not.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook