Magnetisation Curve (Synchronous Machines)

In summary, during the lab, we plotted the open circuit voltage and closed circuit current against the excitation current in the rotor. The data showed that saturation occurs in the open circuit voltage curve, but not in the closed circuit current curve. This is because saturation is more visible in the open circuit curve since it is performed at zero stator current and a portion of rated stator voltage. On the other hand, the short-circuit curve is performed at shorted stator terminals and a portion of rated stator current, resulting in a lower internal stator voltage and less visible saturation effects. This is because the equation E=4,44*f*ψ*z shows that voltage and flux are directly related, meaning that a higher voltage requires
buildingblocs
Hi All,

Today I conducted a lab in which we plotted the open circuit voltage (V[oc]) and closed circuit current (I[sc]) versus the excitation current in the rotor (I[x]).

From the data (plots are attached to thread), it can be seen that saturation occurs in the V[oc] versus I[x] curve however the I[sc] versus I[x] curve remains linear.

Why is it that saturation occurs only with V[oc] and not with I[oc] in the stator?

Attachments

• Voc.png
    Voc.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 491
  • Isc.png
    Isc.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 481
Engineering news on Phys.org
Open-circuit curve (stator voltage vs excitation current) test is performed (or calculated) at zero stator current and 0-1,2 of rated stator voltage. In this case saturation of magnetic circuit is clearly visible.

Short-circuit curve (stator current vs excitation current) test is performed at shorted stator terminals 0-1.0 of rated stator current. Stator voltage (internal stator voltage) is quite low during the test, so you won't observe effects of saturation.

So why saturation is dependent on voltage ? Remember that equation: E=4,44*f*ψ*z
where: E-voltage (stator), f-freuqency, ψ-magnetic flux, z-number of turns

Frequency is static, numer of turs also. Only voltage and flux chanches, so: E≈ψ
The higher voltage, the higher flux is required. Higher flux means higer saturation.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

What is a magnetisation curve in synchronous machines?

A magnetisation curve in synchronous machines is a graphical representation of the relationship between the magnetising current and the induced voltage in the rotor of a synchronous machine. It shows the characteristics of the machine's magnetic field and is used to determine the operating point and performance of the machine.

Why is the magnetisation curve important in synchronous machines?

The magnetisation curve is important because it helps in understanding the behaviour of the synchronous machine and its ability to produce torque. It also aids in determining the appropriate excitation level for the machine and ensures efficient and stable operation.

How is the magnetisation curve obtained in synchronous machines?

The magnetisation curve is obtained by conducting a no-load test on the synchronous machine. This involves running the machine without any mechanical load and gradually increasing the field current while measuring the induced voltage in the rotor. The data is then plotted on a graph to obtain the magnetisation curve.

What is the significance of the shape of the magnetisation curve?

The shape of the magnetisation curve is significant as it provides information about the machine's operating characteristics. A flat curve indicates good saturation and a large operating range, while a steep curve indicates poor saturation and a limited operating range. The shape also helps in identifying any potential issues with the machine's magnetic circuit.

Can the magnetisation curve change over time in synchronous machines?

Yes, the magnetisation curve can change over time due to factors such as aging of the machine, changes in temperature, and wear and tear. It is important to regularly test and monitor the magnetisation curve to ensure the machine is operating at its optimal performance.