Magnetization in a rod bent into a torus

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of no bound current in problem 6 of the given PDF and seeks a hint for understanding why this is the case. The person attempting the solution mentions a constant total dipole moment and a relationship between old and new magnetization, with the help of a picture and a point where density is the same as the unbent rod. The conversation ends with the person thanking for the help in figuring out the solution.
benf.stokes

Homework Statement

I can't figure out why there is no bound current in the problem 6 (very subtle hint boldfaced) is the pdf below:
http://astronomy.mnstate.edu/cabanela/classes/phys370/homework/ps10.pdf

Can anybody give me a hint as to why there should be no bound current

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the total dipole moment contained in a volume element must be constant. However i can't turn this into a relationship between the new M and the old one

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
See if you can follow the hint. How would the mass density ρ in the bent rod vary with radial distance s? See attached picture. Let point a be a point where the density happens to be the same as the unbent rod (ρo). Can you express the density ρ at an arbitrary point b in terms of the density ρo at a and the radial distances s and so?

If you can figure that out, then you should be able to see how the magnetization M varies with s.

Attachments

• Bent rod.png
    Bent rod.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 504
I figured it out due to your help. Thanks :)

What is magnetization in a rod bent into a torus?

Magnetization refers to the process of aligning the magnetic domains within a material in a specific direction. In a rod bent into a torus, the magnetic domains are aligned along the curved path of the torus.

How is magnetization achieved in a rod bent into a torus?

Magnetization in a rod bent into a torus can be achieved through the use of an external magnetic field. When the rod is exposed to a strong magnetic field, the magnetic domains within the material align along the field direction, resulting in magnetization.

What is the significance of magnetization in a rod bent into a torus?

The magnetization in a rod bent into a torus has practical applications in devices such as generators and motors, where the curved shape of the torus allows for more efficient energy transfer. It also has implications in physics research and understanding the behavior of magnetic materials.

How does the shape of the torus affect the magnetization in a rod bent into a torus?

The shape of the torus has a significant impact on the magnetization in a rod bent into a torus. The curve of the torus allows for a continuous path for the magnetic domains to align along, resulting in a stronger and more uniform magnetization compared to a straight rod.

What factors can affect the magnetization in a rod bent into a torus?

The strength and direction of the external magnetic field, the material properties of the rod, and the shape and size of the torus can all affect the magnetization in a rod bent into a torus. Additionally, temperature and other environmental factors can also impact the magnetization process.