1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetization in a rod bent into a torus

1. Oct 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I can't figure out why there is no bound current in the problem 6 (very subtle hint boldfaced) is the pdf below:
    http://astronomy.mnstate.edu/cabanela/classes/phys370/homework/ps10.pdf [Broken]

Can anybody give me a hint as to why there should be no bound current
    3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the total dipole moment contained in a volume element must be constant. However i can't turn this into a relationship between the new M and the old one

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

See if you can follow the hint. How would the mass density ρ in the bent rod vary with radial distance s? See attached picture. Let point a be a point where the density happens to be the same as the unbent rod (ρo). Can you express the density ρ at an arbitrary point b in terms of the density ρo at a and the radial distances s and so?

If you can figure that out, then you should be able to see how the magnetization M varies with s.

Attached Files:

4. Oct 20, 2012 #3
    I figured it out due to your help. Thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook