How to find magnetic dipole force?

In summary, the relationship between dipole force and distance is given by F ∝ ##d^{-3}## and this is demonstrated by placing two magnets on a weighing scale and measuring the change in mass and distance as one magnet is moved closer to the other. A graph is plotted with the logarithm of the mass difference from the initial equilibrium position versus the distance between the two magnets. The slope of this graph represents the force between the magnets. To find the force, the equation for force due to magnetic dipoles is used, but more information is needed to solve for the magnetic dipole force.
PhizKid

Homework Statement

The relationship of dipole force and distance is noted by F ∝ ##d^{-3}##. One magnet is placed on a weighing scale and set the mass is set to equilibrium. Another magnet, with its positive end pointing down, is lowered from directly above towards the positive end of the magnet at rest. As the weighing scale goes out of balance, the distance between the two magnets as well as the change in mass from the original equilibrium position is noted and recorded. With the moving magnet at rest, the weighing scale is then set to equilibrium again and the process is repeated by moving the upper magnet closer to the magnet at rest and observing the change in distance and mass difference from the first equilibrium position.

A graph is plotted with the logarithm of the mass difference from the initial equilibrium position versus the distance between the magnets at those respective points of mass change.

a) Why is this graph a straight line? What does the slope indicate?
b) Calculate the theoretical masses using F ∝ ##d^{-3}##. Plot a graph based on this data.

Homework Equations

F ∝ ##d^{-3}##

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I don't know where the logarithm comes from, or why you take the logarithm of the mass difference. I don't understand where the magnetic dipole force is involved using mass and distance. Therefore, I can't explain why the graph is what it is, or what the slope represents. I don't see any force involved, just mass change and distance.

To find the Force, I looked up the equation for force due to magnetic dipoles, and it appears to be del(dipole moment1 dot dipole moment2). I looked up magnetic dipole moment, but I don't think we have enough information from the given problem to solve for the magnetic dipole force. I could be wrong, but I'm completely stuck here which is why I am asking on here. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
A balance does not measure mass - despite what the question says. It measures weight.

I'd suggest drawing a diagram of the forces acting on the first magnet in equilibrium without the second magnet, then with the second magnet. Then write down an equation relating the forces and see if that gets you started.

1. What is magnetic dipole force?

Magnetic dipole force is the force exerted between two magnetic dipoles. A magnetic dipole is a small magnet that has a north and south pole and produces a magnetic field. The force between two magnetic dipoles is attractive or repulsive depending on the orientation of the dipoles.

2. How is magnetic dipole force calculated?

The magnetic dipole force can be calculated using the equation F = (μ_0 * m_1 * m_2) / (4π * r^2), where μ_0 is the permeability of free space, m_1 and m_2 are the magnetic dipole moments of the two dipoles, and r is the distance between them.

3. Can magnetic dipole force be measured?

Yes, magnetic dipole force can be measured using specialized equipment such as a Hall probe. This device can detect changes in magnetic fields and can be used to measure the force between two dipoles.

4. What factors affect the strength of magnetic dipole force?

The strength of magnetic dipole force depends on the magnetic properties of the dipoles, the distance between them, and the orientation of the dipoles. The force increases as the magnetic dipole moments of the dipoles increase and decreases as the distance between them increases.

5. How is magnetic dipole force used in everyday life?

Magnetic dipole force is used in a variety of everyday applications, including electric motors, generators, and magnetic levitation trains. It is also used in medical imaging technology such as MRI machines, which use strong magnetic fields to produce detailed images of the body.