Forces exerted by two rods with uniform mass.

F_0 = \lim_{n \rightarrow 0}\int_{-L/2}^{L/2}\frac{-G \lambda_0 m_0 \hat{x}}{(b - x)^2}u=b-xdu=-dxF_0 = \frac{-G \lambda_0 m_0 \hat{x}} \int_{b-L/2}^{b+L/2}\frac{-du}{u^2}
Benzoate

Homework Statement

Calculate the gravitational force betwee two uniform(1-D) rods as shown below.(hint you have to integrate the force over the mass elements of both rods . we did the first integral in class. As before you only have to worry about the componet in the x-direction by symmetry. Demonstrate that , in the limit that the separation of the rods becomes large compared to their lengths, the force the correct limiting form.

Here is a drawing of the two rods on my course webpage. You might have to click on the homework tab of the main page and then proceed to click on assignment three if link directly
fails to link you to the homework page containing the problem

http://courses.ncsu.edu/py411/lec/001/

Homework Equations

principle of superposition for Forces

lambda=delta(m)/L=mass/length

The Attempt at a Solution

General information about the forces between two or more rods
F=lim(as delta(x)==> 0) sigma(-G*m0*lambda*delta(xi) (x-hat)/(x0-xi)^2

F0=\lmoustache{-L/2 , L/2}(-G*m0*lambda(x)*dx/((x0-x)^2)*(x-hat)

since object is uniform, all lambdas are constant and therefore all lambda's equal lambda(0).

F0=integral(from -L/2 to L/2)(-G*lambda(0)*m(0)*(x-hat)/(b-x)^2=-G*m0*lambda(0)(x-hat) *integral(from -L/2 to L/2) dx/(b-x)^2. From u-substitution, I can say that :

u=b-x

du=-dx

F0=-G*m0*lambda(0)*(x-hat)*integral(from b-L/2 to b+L/2)(-du/u^2)=-G*m0*lambda(0)*x-hat[-1/(b-L/2)+1/(b+L/2)]

1/(b+L/2)-((1)/(b-L/2))= -L/(b^2-(L/2)^2)

F0=-G*m0*lambda*L*x-hat/(b^2-(L/2)^2)

in limiting case, as b>>L, then F0 = G*m0*M/b^2. My solution
let M/L=lambda

with cos(alpha)=b/r and r=sqrt(b^2+y^2)

by symmetry, the x component is the only left since force is only x direction.

F=integral(from -L/2 to L/2)dy(-G*m(particle)*lambda*dy/(r^2)*cos(alpha))x-hat=-G*m(particle)*lambda*integral(from -L/2 to L/2)b*dy/r^3=-G*m(particle)*lambda*b*integral( from -L/2 to L/2)
dy/(b^2+y^2)^(1.5)==>

==>G*m(particle)*lambda*b^-1*integral(from -L/2 to L/2)*(dy/b)/(1+(y/b)^2)^(1.5)

using u-substitution , I find that y=b*tan(theta)
dy=b*sec^2(theta)*dtheta

F=-G*m(particle)*lambda*b^-1*integral(from arctan(L/2b) to arctan(-L/2b)*(sec^2(theta)*dtheta/(1+tan^2(theta)= G*m(particle)*lambda*b^-1 integral(arctan(-L/b) to arctan(L/b)) dtheta/sec(theta)=-G*m(particle)*lambda*cos(theta)*dtheta=-G*m(particle)*lambda*b^-1*sin(theta)*integral(arctan)

F=-G*m(particle)*lambda*b^-1 * [(2L/b)/(sqrt(1+(L/b)^2)
F=-G*m(particle)*lambda*L*(1/(b*sqrt(b^2+L^2))

Force between two rods is r=sqrt(b^2+(y'-y)^2)

I'm not sure where to go from here :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
oh come on, Benzoate!

that's virtually unreadable … :frown:

either learn how to do LaTeX …

http://www.physics.udel.edu/~dubois/lshort2e/node61.html#SECTION008100000000000000000

http://www.physics.udel.edu/~dubois/lshort2e/node54.html#SECTION00830000000000000000

or use unicode characters and the X2 and X2 tags.

tiny-tim said:
oh come on, Benzoate!

that's virtually unreadable … :frown:

either learn how to do LaTeX …

http://www.physics.udel.edu/~dubois/lshort2e/node61.html#SECTION008100000000000000000

http://www.physics.udel.edu/~dubois/lshort2e/node54.html#SECTION00830000000000000000

or use unicode characters and the X2 and X2 tags.

I am having difficulty using latex. I will paste one of the equations from my OP and you can show me how I can transformed text into latex: F0=integral(from -L/2 to L/2)(-G*lambda(0)*m(0)*(x-hat)/(b-x)^2=-G*m0*lambda(0)(x-hat) *integral(from -L/2 to L/2) dx/(b-x)^2

Sorry , I should have asked you. Can you show me how to transformed the above equation into latex?

LaTeX

Benzoate said:
F0=integral(from -L/2 to L/2)(-G*lambda(0)*m(0)*(x-hat)/(b-x)^2=-G*m0*lambda(0)(x-hat) *integral(from -L/2 to L/2) dx/(b-x)^2

I'll start you off … you get:

[tex]F_0 = \int_{-L/2}^{L/2}\frac{-G \lambda_0 m_0 \hat{x}}{(b - x)^2}[/tex]

if you type

[noparse][tex]F_0 = \int_{-L/2}^{L/2}\frac{-G \lambda_0 m_0 \hat{x}}{(b - x)^2}[/tex][/noparse]

Please look at those links I gave you!

I was unable to edit my OP , so I will have to repost my solutions.

[tex]F=\begin{displaymath}\lim_(n \rightarrow 0)\-int_{-L/2}^{L/2}\frac{-G \lambda_0 m_0 \hat{x}{( b-x)^2}[/tex]
[tex]F_0 = \int_{-L/2}^{L/2}\frac{-G \lambda_0 m_0 \hat{x}}{(b - x)^2}[/tex]

u=b-x
du=-dx

[tex]F_0 =frac{-G \lambda_0 m_0 \hat{x}} \int_{b-L/2}^{b+L/2}\frac{{-du}{u}^2}[/tex]

just a test! still converting all my text into latex
still a test

I give up! I've worked on the same equation for latex for 30 min I've still failed to convert my equation into latex

Last edited:
LaTeX

Hi Benzoate! :smile:

Some corrections:

i] no need to type "begin displaymath" … tex will atuomatically assume it's maths, unless you type \text{}

ii] instructions like lim and ^ and _ must be followed by {}, not ()

iii] you typed \-int instead of \int, and left out some { and }s … ou must count thsoe brackets carefully :wink:

This, I think, is what you wanted …

[tex]F=\lim_{n \rightarrow 0}\int_{-L/2}^{L/2}\frac{-G \lambda_0 m_0 \hat{x}}{( b-x)^2}[/tex]
and you get it if you type:

[noparse][tex]F=\lim_{n \rightarrow 0}\int_{-L/2}^{L/2}\frac{-G \lambda_0 m_0 \hat{x}}{( b-x)^2}[/tex][/noparse]

Try again! :smile:

1. What is the formula for calculating the force exerted by two rods with uniform mass?

The formula for calculating the force exerted by two rods with uniform mass is F = G(M1*M2)/d^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, M1 and M2 are the masses of the two rods, and d is the distance between the two rods.

2. How does the distance between the two rods affect the force exerted?

The force exerted by two rods with uniform mass is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two rods. This means that as the distance between the two rods increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.

3. How does the mass of the two rods affect the force exerted?

The force exerted by two rods with uniform mass is directly proportional to the product of the masses of the two rods. This means that as the mass of either or both of the rods increases, the force also increases, and vice versa.

4. What is the direction of the force exerted by two rods with uniform mass?

The force exerted by two rods with uniform mass is always attractive, meaning that the two rods will be pulled towards each other.

5. What other factors can affect the force exerted by two rods with uniform mass?

The only other factor that can affect the force exerted by two rods with uniform mass is the gravitational constant, which is a universal constant and does not change. Therefore, the force exerted is solely dependent on the masses of the two rods and the distance between them.