Magnetomotive force and the H-field

• Thread starter help1please
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
Instead, it is a term used to describe the potential for a force to be generated by an electromagnetic field. In summary, magnetomotive force is an integral of the H-field and is similar to electromotive force in that it represents the potential for a force to be generated by an electromagnetic field.
help1please

Homework Statement

The magnetomotive force is given as an integral of the H-field. I want to know how this can be a force.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int H \cdot d \ell = F[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So a bit confused. Wiki says that this equation

[tex]\int H \cdot d \ell = F[/tex]

is a force, the magneto-motive-force. But this is the H-field multiplied by a length [tex]\ell[/tex]. From what I knew about the H-field, if you multiply the H-field with a length, you should get a current, not a force as

[tex]\int H \cdot d\ell = I[/tex]

I know this because

[tex]H = \frac{I}{2\pi r}[/tex]

you can see why by rearranging it

[tex]H \cdot r = \frac{I}{2\pi}[/tex]

so what gives?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's analogous to electromotive force. Neither electromotive force or magnetomotive force is a force in the traditional sense. That is, it's not measured in Newtons in the SI unit system.

1. What is magnetomotive force (MMF)?

Magnetomotive force is the force that causes magnetic flux to flow through a magnetic circuit. It is analogous to electromotive force in an electrical circuit, and is measured in units of ampere-turns (A-turns).

2. How is MMF related to the H-field?

The H-field, also known as the magnetic field strength, is directly proportional to the magnetomotive force. This means that an increase in MMF will result in an increase in the H-field, and vice versa.

3. What is the difference between MMF and magnetic flux?

MMF is the force that causes magnetic flux to flow through a magnetic circuit, while magnetic flux is the actual flow of magnetic field lines. In other words, MMF is the cause and magnetic flux is the effect.

4. How is MMF calculated?

MMF can be calculated by multiplying the number of turns in a coil by the current flowing through it. It can also be calculated by multiplying the magnetic permeability of a material by the length of the magnetic circuit and the H-field in that material.

5. What is the unit of measurement for MMF?

The unit of measurement for MMF is the ampere-turn (A-turn), which represents the product of the current (measured in amperes) and the number of turns in a coil.