Magnetostatics: Finding B field given current density

In summary: B field from some current density, do we just always use amperes law to find I(r) and then plug that into the B field equation?In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of the B field at all points in space using a cylindrical conductor with a given current density. The conversation includes the use of Ampere's law and integration to find the current passing through a contour and the surface over which the current is integrated. The conversation also addresses the use of cylindrical coordinates in the integration process.
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

Not sure if this is the correct place to post so move if needed.

In a cylindrical conductor of radius R, the current density is givne by [itex]j_0 e^{- \alpha r} \hat{k}[/itex]. Where ##\alpha## and ##j_0## are some constants and ##\hat{k}## is the unit vector along the z-axis.

. Determine the magnitude of the B field at all points in space.

Homework Equations

## \oint_C \vec{B} \cdot d\vec{r} = \mu_0 I ##
## I = \int \int_S \vec{j} \cdot d\vec{S} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I am a bit stuck on this, don't know how to proceed as I don't know if I am interpreting it wrong or what, but first I state
## \oint_C \vec{B} \cdot d\vec{r} = \mu_0 I(r) ##
That amperes circuital law related the B field to the current passing through the contour C, so in this case as the current density is not uniform, the current is a function of r.
Then I try to find ##I(r)##
## I = \int \int_S (\vec{j} \cdot \hat{n}) dS ##
And using cylindrical coordinates,##j_0 e^{- \alpha r} \hat{k}## is just simply ##j_0 e^{- \alpha r} \hat{e_z}## , and surely the unit normal vector is ##\hat{e_{\rho}}##? But then that leads to the dot product of ##\vec{j}## and ##\hat{e_{\rho}}## to be 0.

Is ##\hat{e_{\rho}}## the unit normal vector in this case? Or would it be ##\hat{e_z}##? Even if it is ##\hat{e_z}## I still run into problems .

Physics news on Phys.org
FaraDazed said:

Can you describe the surface S that you are integrating over?

Likes FaraDazed
TSny said:
Can you describe the surface S that you are integrating over?

Its too late now anyways as the due date was this morning, but still will come in handy to know how to get to grips with it.

The surface is the cross-sectional area of the conductor, so it must be ##\hat{e_z}## that is the unit vector normal to the surface. If so I still ran into problems, I think it was with the conversion to cylindrical coordinates.

##\vec{j} \cdot \hat{n}## just leads to ##j_0 e^{-\alpha r} ## or rather since its now cylindrical coordinates ##j_0 e^{-\alpha \rho} ## but then don't I also have to multiply by ##\rho d\rho##? if so then I just run into problems, or rather the integration is complex and the answer is nonsensical.

Or I also tried just ##\vec{j} \cdot d\vec{S}## (which I suppose is supposed to be the same thing), where ##d\vec{S} = dr\hat{e_r} + r d\phi\hat{e_{\phi}} + dz \hat{e_z}## but then that surely leads to just ##j_0 e^{-\alpha r} dz## which would just mean ##I(r)=zj_0 e^{-\alpha r} ## which doesn't look right to me.

FaraDazed said:
The surface is the cross-sectional area of the conductor, so it must be ##\hat{e_z}## that is the unit vector normal to the surface.
Yes. Good.

If so I still ran into problems, I think it was with the conversion to cylindrical coordinates.

##\vec{j} \cdot \hat{n}## just leads to ##j_0 e^{-\alpha r} ## or rather since its now cylindrical coordinates ##j_0 e^{-\alpha \rho} ## but then don't I also have to multiply by ##\rho d\rho##?
Yes. There is also a constant factor that needs to be included with ##\rho d\rho## (if you have already integrated over the angle variable).

if so then I just run into problems, or rather the integration is complex and the answer is nonsensical.
It shouldn't be too bad. Can you show what you tried?

Or I also tried just ##\vec{j} \cdot d\vec{S}## (which I suppose is supposed to be the same thing), where ##d\vec{S} = dr\hat{e_r} + r d\phi\hat{e_{\phi}} + dz \hat{e_z}## but then that surely leads to just ##j_0 e^{-\alpha r} dz## which would just mean ##I(r)=zj_0 e^{-\alpha r} ## which doesn't look right to me.

I agree, that doesn't look right. ##d\vec{S}## should have the units of area and have a direction perpendicular to the surface.

Likes FaraDazed
TSny said:
It shouldn't be too bad. Can you show what you tried?

Well yeah it wasnt too bad, its just we haven't had many (if any) exercises/problems where we have had to integrate by parts so far; not that it is overly complicated, I think its just as we have never had to use it in any of the problems so far I just guessed the lecturer wouldn't have given us one, but I'm probably wrong.

for the integration I was doing ##\int_0^R \rho j_0 e^{-\alpha \rho} d\rho## , letting ##u=\rho## so that ##\frac{du}{d\rho} = 1## and letting ##dv = j_0e^{-\alpha \rho}## so that ##v=-\frac{1}{\alpha} j_0e^{-\alpha \rho}##

[tex]
\int_a^b u\> dv = [uv]_a^b - \int_a^b v \> du \\
\int_0^R \rho j_0 e^{-\alpha \rho} d\rho = [-\frac{\rho}{\alpha}j_0e^{-\alpha \rho}]_0^R + \frac{1}{\alpha} \int_0^R j_0 e^{-\alpha \rho} d\rho \\
\int_0^R \rho j_0 e^{-\alpha \rho} d\rho = -\frac{R}{\alpha}j_0e^{-\alpha R} + \frac{1}{\alpha^2}j_0e^{-\alpha R} \\
\int_0^R \rho j_0 e^{-\alpha \rho} d\rho = \frac{1}{\alpha}j_0e^{-\alpha R}(\frac{1}{\alpha}-R) = I(r)
[/tex]

Your evaluation of the integral has a couple of errors. Check all signs in your third line. Also, does the lower limit give a nonzero contribution?

Why did you choose R as the upper limit? Are you trying to find B at r = R, or at some arbitrary value of r?

Likes FaraDazed
TSny said:
Why did you choose R as the upper limit? Are you trying to find B at r = R, or at some arbitrary value of r?

Oh, because first I was trying to find the B field outside of the conductor, so my contour C encircled the whole conductor (and in my head a little bit of the space around it but I suppose that doesn't matter as there's no current there). I suppose it would be the same inside the conductor too (the integral) but with r instead of R as the upper limit?

TSny said:
Your evaluation of the integral has a couple of errors. Check all signs in your third line. Also, does the lower limit give a nonzero contribution?

Thanks, I just did it very quickly before posting. Yeah your right, I forgot about the r in the exponential, obviously at zero they go to one, so need to fix that.As I said, the due date has passed so I'm not too worried about pinning down the exact answer at the moment, just as long as I know the process is correct. So am I a long the right lines? As the question states to find it at all points in space, I suppose there's only two, inside and outside the conductor, so the B field would have a R<r and R>r bit.

FaraDazed said:
Oh, because first I was trying to find the B field outside of the conductor, so my contour C encircled the whole conductor (and in my head a little bit of the space around it but I suppose that doesn't matter as there's no current there). I suppose it would be the same inside the conductor too (the integral) but with r instead of R as the upper limit?
OK. Yes, for finding B at any r>R, you would use R for the upper limit in the current calculation. For finding B at r<R, the upper limit is r.

So am I a long the right lines? As the question states to find it at all points in space, I suppose there's only two, inside and outside the conductor, so the B field would have a R<r and R>r bit.
Yes.

Likes FaraDazed
TSny said:
OK. Yes, for finding B at any r>R, you would use R for the upper limit in the current calculation. For finding B at r<R, the upper limit is r.Yes.

Ok thank you for you help, its much appreciated! :)

1. What is magnetostatics?

Magnetostatics is a branch of electromagnetism that deals with the study of magnetic fields generated by stationary electric charges or currents. It is concerned with the behavior of magnetic fields in the absence of changing electric fields.

2. What is the B field?

The B field, also known as the magnetic flux density, is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of a magnetic field. It is measured in units of teslas (T) or gauss (G).

3. How do you find the B field given current density?

To find the B field given current density, you can use the Biot-Savart law, which states that the B field at a point is directly proportional to the current passing through a small element at that point and inversely proportional to the distance from the element. You can also use Ampere's law, which relates the B field to the current enclosed by a closed loop.

4. What is current density?

Current density is a measure of the amount of current flowing through a unit area. It is a vector quantity and is expressed in units of amperes per square meter (A/m^2).

5. What are some applications of magnetostatics?

Magnetostatics has many practical applications, including in the design of electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in magnetic levitation systems, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, and particle accelerators. Additionally, it plays a role in the study of Earth's magnetic field and its effects on compasses and navigation systems.