Expressing this vector integral as a tensor involving the quadrupole

In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying the integral for the electric quadrupole moment tensor. The final result is a compact form involving the quadrupole tensor and the field point unit vector. The integral ultimately simplifies to the quadrupole moment tensor multiplied by the field point unit vector.
PhDeezNutz
Homework Statement
In the process of trying to derive an expression for the vector potential of a radiating magnetic dipole(/electric quadrupole)

I came up with this term

$$\vec{I} = \int \left(\hat{r}\cdot\vec{r'}\right) \vec{r'} \rho\left( \vec{r'} \right)\, d^3r'$$

and I want to massage it into a form that looks like a tensor product of sorts.
Relevant Equations
The non-traceless quadrupole is defined as

$$Q_{ij} = \int r_i r_j \rho\left( \vec{r'}\right) \, d^3r'$$
Before writing out each component I'm going to simplify ##\vec{I}## to the best of my abilities

$$\vec{I} = \int \left(\hat{r}\cdot\vec{r'}\right) \vec{r'} \rho\left( \vec{r'} \right)\, d^3r'$$

$$\vec{I} = \hat{r} \cdot \int \vec{r'} \left( x' , y', z' \right) \rho\left( \vec{r'} \right)\, d^3r'$$

Now I'm going to concentrate on each component

$$I_x =\hat{r} \cdot \int x' \vec{r}' \rho \left( \vec{r'} \right) \, d^3r'$$

$$I_y =\hat{r} \cdot \int y' \vec{r}' \rho \left( \vec{r'} \right) \, d^3r'$$

$$I_z=\hat{r} \cdot \int z' \vec{r}' \rho \left( \vec{r'} \right) \, d^3r'$$

Written out completely that is

$$I_x = \left( \hat{r} \cdot \int x'^2 \rho \left( \vec{r'} \right)\, d^3r' \right) \hat{x} + \left(\hat{r} \cdot \int x'y' \rho \left( \vec{r'} \right)\, d^3r' \right) \hat{y} + \left(\hat{r} \cdot \int x'z' \rho \left( \vec{r'} \right)\, d^3r'\right) \hat{z}$$

$$I_y = \left( \hat{r} \cdot \int y'x' \rho \left( \vec{r'} \right)\, d^3r' \right) \hat{x} + \left(\hat{r} \cdot \int y'^2 \rho \left( \vec{r'} \right)\, d^3r' \right) \hat{y} + \left(\hat{r} \cdot \int y'z' \rho \left( \vec{r'} \right)\, d^3r'\right) \hat{z}$$

$$I_z = \left( \hat{r} \cdot \int z'x' \rho \left( \vec{r'} \right)\, d^3r' \right) \hat{x} + \left(\hat{r} \cdot \int z'y' \rho \left( \vec{r'} \right)\, d^3r' \right) \hat{y} + \left(\hat{r} \cdot \int z'^2 \rho \left( \vec{r'} \right)\, d^3r'\right) \hat{z}$$

I'm trying to get this in a compact form that involves the quadrupole tensor but I can't seem to do it.

As always any help is appreciated in advanced.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Would it be

$$\vec{I} = \sum_{i=1}^{3} \sum_{j=1}^3 Q_{ij} \left( \hat{r} \cdot \hat{x_j} \right) \hat{x_i}$$

?

Where ##\hat{r}## is the field point unit vector and the ##\hat{x_j}##'s are the actual basis unit vectors.

Last edited:
Wow...I made it too complicated

The integral in question (which is ultimately a vector quantity) is simply

$$\vec{I} = Q \hat{r}$$

where of course Q is the quadrupole moment tensor. I wasn't very successful in manipulating index notation in order to come to this conclusion so I wrote out each component and dot product and it seems to work.

Last edited:

What is a vector integral?

A vector integral is an integral that involves a vector function or a vector field. It is a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of a vector quantity over a given region or volume. It can be used to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration.

What is a tensor?

A tensor is a mathematical object that describes the relationships between vectors and other tensors in a multi-dimensional space. It is a generalization of vectors and matrices, and it is used to represent physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as stress, strain, and moment of inertia.

What is a quadrupole?

A quadrupole is a type of tensor that describes the distribution of mass or charge in an object. It is characterized by its second moment of mass or charge, and it is used to study the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in the presence of complex objects.

How do you express a vector integral as a tensor?

To express a vector integral as a tensor, you can use the gradient operator to transform the vector quantity into a tensor quantity. This involves taking the partial derivatives of the vector function with respect to each of the coordinates in the multi-dimensional space. The resulting tensor will have the same dimensions as the original vector, but it will now have additional components that describe the directional behavior of the vector in the given space.

Why is it important to express a vector integral as a tensor involving the quadrupole?

Expressing a vector integral as a tensor involving the quadrupole allows for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the physical phenomenon being studied. By using tensors, which are more general and versatile mathematical objects, scientists can better describe the complex behavior of vector quantities in multi-dimensional spaces. This can lead to more accurate predictions and solutions in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.