Magnitude and angle of an electric field vector

In summary: The function is asking for θ being the blue, yellow or orange angle. But because the argument is a vector, it can represent any of those angles as a component. So, in your case, θorange would be 180+55.2=235.2°, θyellow=-124.2°, and θblue=55.2°.
Jrlinton

Homework Statement

The electric potential at points in an xy plane is given by V = (1.5 V/m2)x2 -(2.9 V/m2)y2. What are (a) the magnitude of the electric field at the point (3.9 m, 2.9 m) and (b) the angle that the field there makes with the positive x direction.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, Part a I have completed correctly by multiplying the derivative of the difference potential and the negative of direction component for both x and y.
So for x we get
1.5*-2=-3(x)
And y
2.9*-2=-5.8(y)
Inserting the given values for x and y I get that
x=-11.7
y=-16.82
Using pythagorean theorem I get that
r=20.4891 V/m

The problem I have (and feel silly about) is coming up with the angle in part b
I think it should simply be:
arctan(-16.82/-11.7)+180°
=235.178° or -124.823° ⇐This was incorrect

Physics news on Phys.org
Jrlinton said:
2.9*-2=-5.8(y)
It is -(2.9 V/m2)y2, not +(2.9 V/m2)y2

The arctan function can't tell what signs are associated with the numerator and denominator of the argument that you pass to it, so it can't sort out the right quadrant for the angle by itself. That's up to you. Sketch the vector using the x and y components to find the right quadrant and then adjust the arctan result accordingly.

Alternatively, some calculators provide an atan2(y,x) function that deals with the signs of the arguments for you and correctly places the angle. Others provide rectangular to polar conversion that essentially do the same thing for the angle part of the conversion.

gneill said:
The arctan function can't tell what signs are associated with the numerator and denominator of the argument that you pass to it, so it can't sort out the right quadrant for the angle by itself. That's up to you. Sketch the vector using the x and y components to find the right quadrant and then adjust the arctan result accordingly.

Alternatively, some calculators provide an atan2(y,x) function that deals with the signs of the arguments for you and correctly places the angle. Others provide rectangular to polar conversion that essentially do the same thing for the angle part of the conversion.
That is all true, but the ambiguity is a rotation through 180 degrees. In the present problem, jr has a result in the third quadrant when it should be in the second.

Likes gneill
gneill said:

I understand that the function cannot determine the quadrant of the angle and just assumes that it is in the first two quadrants. I also understand that this particular would be in the third quadrant.
upload_2017-2-14_18-16-10.png
I suppose that what I am having trouble with is if it is asking for θ being the blue, yellow or orange angle. I understand that using the arctan function will only give me the absolute value of the purple angle of 55.2° to the x axis. It would actually be -55.2° to the axis. So correct me if I am wrong but each angle above would be:
θorange=180+55.2=235.2°
θyellow=-124.2°
θblue=55.2°

Thanks haruspex. I missed that negative sign.

haruspex said:
That is all true, but the ambiguity is a rotation through 180 degrees. In the present problem, jr has a result in the third quadrant when it should be in the second.
Thanks. I jumped to a conclusion before confirming the reason for jumping! :smile:

I see the underlying issue now.

1. What is the magnitude of an electric field vector?

The magnitude of an electric field vector is a measure of the strength of the electric field at a specific point in space. It is determined by the amount of charge creating the field and the distance from the charge.

2. How is the magnitude of an electric field vector calculated?

The magnitude of an electric field vector is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the magnitude of the electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge creating the field and inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the charge.

3. What is the direction of an electric field vector?

The direction of an electric field vector is determined by the direction in which a positive test charge would move if placed in the field. It is always directed away from positively charged objects and towards negatively charged objects.

4. How is the direction of an electric field vector represented?

The direction of an electric field vector is typically represented by arrows pointing in the direction of the field. The length of the arrows is proportional to the strength of the field at that point.

5. What is the relationship between the magnitude and angle of an electric field vector?

The magnitude and angle of an electric field vector are related by trigonometric functions. The magnitude can be calculated by multiplying the electric field strength by the cosine of the angle between the electric field vector and a reference axis.