1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Magnitude and Direction of a charge interaction

1. Aug 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    26.P39.jpg
    What is the direction of the force [tex]\vec{F}[/tex] on the -10 nC charge in the figure? Give your answer as an angle measured cw from the +x-axis. Problem 26.39 in Physics for Scientists and Engineers Second Edition by Knight
    Magnitude of the force is 4.3E-3 N

2. Relevant equations

As far as I know, this is the only relevant equations:

[tex]\vec{F}[/tex]=[tex]k*q_{1}*q_{2}/d^{2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I already found the magnitude as listed above. But I need to find [tex]\theta[/tex] in the clockwise direction.

The force of A (being the -5 nC charge) I figured was direction -4.3E-4 [tex]\hat{j}[/tex] and -1.28E-3 [tex]\hat{i}[/tex] and the other charge had a force of -4.5E-3 I double checked with an answer from someone else (MasteringPhysics also said it was correct). I figured I would use a trigonometric function for the final part, ie the angle measured in the clockwise direction. In lab we used tangent, but was confused as to why (tangent is opposite over adjacent):

tan([tex]\theta[/tex])=4.07E-3/1.28E-3 ==> [tex]\theta[/tex]=tan[tex]^{-1}[/tex](3.179)

which is 72.54 degrees. I added 180 to it to get 252.54, but apparently that is not correct (I don't completely understand the cw and ccw part).

Is there any line of thought that I should proceed with?

(sorry about my English)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper

Show the coordinate axes and the forces in your figure, please.

ehild

4. Sep 1, 2010 #3
    I can't edit the problem, but the x axis ([tex]\hat{i}[/tex]) is left-right and the y axis ([tex]\hat{j}[/tex]) would be up-down, if I am not mistaken. The origin would then be at the -10nC.

5. Sep 1, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper

In this case the force on the -10 nC charge from the -5 nC one has only y component, and that form the 15 nC charge has both x and y components. Check your calculation and text.

ehild

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook