Magnitude and Duration of Inrush on various lighting technologies

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
mgookin
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Hi:

I'm wondering where I can find a table with the magnitude and duration of inrush on the many various lighting technologies at the various levels they come in.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
OK I'll make the question more generalized.

We know the duration of inrush is relative to ambient temperature of a light bulb.

From room temp to Tmax will be something.
And from zero deg to Tmax will be more.

But are we talking about 20ms, 200ms, 20s, etc?

Anyone have a clue for any type of light bulb?

Thanks!
 
mgookin said:
OK I'll make the question more generalized.

We know the duration of inrush is relative to ambient temperature of a light bulb.

From room temp to Tmax will be something.
And from zero deg to Tmax will be more.

But are we talking about 20ms, 200ms, 20s, etc?

Anyone have a clue for any type of light bulb?

Thanks!

Search for "inrush" on this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incandescent_light_bulb

That should give you a ballpark idea for incandescent bulbs. I'm no help on the other lighting technologies -- well, except for LEDs :-p
 
berkeman said:
Search for "inrush" on this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incandescent_light_bulb

That should give you a ballpark idea for incandescent bulbs. I'm no help on the other lighting technologies -- well, except for LEDs :-p

Thank you Berkeman. That is very useful information. If anyone knows any sources for other lighting technologies that would help as well. Thanks again.