1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of acceleration in circular motion

1. Nov 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ferris wheel with radius 14.0m is turning about a horizontal axis through its center. The linear speed of a passenger on the rim is constand and equal to 7.69m/s. What is the magnitude of the passenger's acceleration as she passes through the lowest point in her circular motion?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Because the speed is constant I thought that the magnitude of the acceleration would be zero and only the direction of the acceleration would have a value, but zero isn't the right answer so there's a concept to answering this question that I'm completely missing and I have no idea how to go about finding it. Does the fact that the person is at the lowest point make a difference? All of this is very new to me and I'm just very confused.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2012 #2
    If you tie a rock to a string and swing it in a circle - like the ferris wheel - doesn't it apply tension to the string? What causes the tension?

What are the relevant equations you have at your disposal?

4. Nov 6, 2012 #3
    I'm given atan=(dlvl)/dt

5. Nov 6, 2012 #4
    I have no idea what you have written. That said, what about formulas for centripetal acceleration such as V^2/R or R*omega^2 where omega is angular speed in radians/second?

6. Nov 6, 2012 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Acceleration is a change in velocity. (Linear acceleration is a change in linear velocity, angular acceleration is a change in angular velocity.)
    Velocity is a vector. The speed is the magnitude of the velocity.
    If the speed stays constant but the direction changes then the velocity changes, hence the acceleration is not zero. Acceleration is also a vector. When the acceleration is at right angles to the velocity the speed stays constant. If an object moves in a circle at constant speed its acceleration is towards the centre of the circle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook