1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of Acceloration problem

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a person jumps from a window 46m high. and is caught in a figherfighters net which streaches .6m. to what tenth of a m/s^2 is the persons magnitude of acceloration in the net

2. Relevant equations
    X= - 46
    a = -9.8
    v= ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    would the soultion be -9.8? im really not sure what formula to use or how to solve this. PLEASE HELP!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2
    Is this all of the given information? Something seems to be missing.

4. Nov 9, 2008 #3
    yeah, thats all. the hit was that theres 2 parts to the problem, falling and hitting the net, idk if that helps at all...

5. Nov 9, 2008 #4
    IDK why she's in the 10th floor jumping into a net but...

Can you please write every single word, as written, with the question clearly indicated? I have no idea what needs to be solved for.

6. Nov 9, 2008 #5
    A person jumps from a window 46 meters high and is caught in a firefighter's net which stretches 0.6 meters. to the nearest tenth of a M/S^2, what is the magnitude of the persons acceloration in the net.

that is copy/pasted from my hw.

7. Nov 9, 2008 #6
    Okay, well, here's a stab at it:

[tex]v_f^2=v_i^2+2ad \rightarrow v_f=\sqrt{92g}[/tex]

From this, we'll now solve for the second portion of motion:

[tex]v_f^2=v_i^2+2ad \rightarrow -\sqrt{92g}=\sqrt{1.2a}[/tex]...

8. Nov 9, 2008 #7
    could u possibly show me the variables u used to substitute into the formula?
    im kinda having a hard time with this, and im not exacly following what your doing...

9. Nov 9, 2008 #8
    The square of your final velocity during free fall is equal to your initial velocity-squared (0m/s) plus two times the quantity of your acceleration due to gravity, g=9.81m/s/s, and your displacement, 46m. This allows you to solve for your final velocity to be, 30m/s. Then, you do the same thing for the second part. Your final velocity-squared (0m/s) is the square of your initial velocity, 902.52 plus twice your acceleration due to the net, a, and your displacement, 0.6m. Rearranging, you'll solve for a, giving you a=752m/s/s, I think. I'm rushed, calculations might be wrong.

10. Nov 9, 2008 #9
    Thank you so much!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?