1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of an Electric field on a point by 2 charged spheres

1. Jan 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The left-hand sphere has a positive charge Q and the right-hand sphere has a negative charge -Q . Charge is distibuted uniformly over each of two spherical volumes with radius R. One sphere of charge is centered at the origin and the other at x=2R .
    Find the magnitude of the net electric field at the point R/2 on the x-axis

2. Relevant equations

E=[tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex] ([tex]\frac{Q}{R^{2}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Since the point is located within the first sphere, I thought the electric field would be zero.
    Then I typed in:

E=[tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex] ([tex]\frac{Q}{\frac{3}{2}R^{2}}[/tex]

but it said the answer was wrong. Can anyone please help?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Since the point is located within the first sphere, I thought the electric field would be zero.

But the sphere is not a conductor. So the field inside a uniformly charge sphere the is not equal to zero.

4. Jan 24, 2010 #3
    Oh ok, so then the E field for the first sphere would be:

[tex]\frac{1}{4_{0}\epsilon\pi}[/tex][tex]\frac{Q}{\frac{1}{2}R^{2}}[/tex]

And then since both fields of the spheres are pointing the same direction I will just add the E fields of the first sphere with the second sphere?

5. Jan 24, 2010 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Why? The shell theorem states that the part of the sphere from r=1/2R to R creates no net electric field. The sphere "under" that shell has radius 1/2R, so what charge must it have?

6. Jan 24, 2010 #5
    Would it have half the charge it originally had? Q/2?

7. Jan 24, 2010 #6

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Would it? How much of the original volume does the smaller sphere have?

8. Jan 24, 2010 #7
    It would have 1/8 less volume...so then Q/8

9. Jan 24, 2010 #8
    Ok, I finally understand the problem now. Thank you so much for your help!!!! I appreciate it =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook