Magnitude of an Impulse and Plotting it? (What am I doing?)

In summary, the conversation is discussing calculations related to momentum and its direction. The speaker is unsure about the correct formula for part a and has no idea how to approach part b. The other person suggests being careful with the signs of initial and final velocities and for part b, using the assumption of a point mass with a light uniform spring.
cjedow
Homework Statement
A small rubber ball of mass m is thrown at a brick
wall. Initially, the ball has a speed v0 and is traveling perpendicular to the wall. After
the ball hits the wall and rebounds, it is traveling perpendicular to the wall at speed
(2/3)v0. The ball is in contact with the wall for a time Δt. (Assume that Δt is so short
that gravity doesn’t appreciably change the ball’s momentum.)
a. What is the magnitude of the impulse from the force of the wall on the ball?
b. As quantitatively as possible, plot the instantaneous force
exerted by the ball on the wall versus time. On the plot,
indicate the average force exerted by the wall on the ball.
Relevant Equations
J= m * vf - m * vi
J=F * t
I wrote:
J = m(2/3)v0 - mv0 for part a but I'm not sure if that's correct or if I need something else?
I have no idea how to do part b. I wrote F * t = m(2/3)v0 - v0 but I honestly don't know what I'm doing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum has direction. If it were to hit at speed v and bounce back at speed v there would be no change to the magnitude of the momentum, but the magnitude of the change in momentum would not be zero.
To put it another way, be careful with the signs of vi and vf.

For part b, assume it behaves like a point mass with a light uniform spring in front... though that is not strictly true.

1. What is the magnitude of an impulse?

The magnitude of an impulse is a measure of the force applied to an object over a period of time. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the time it is applied for.

2. How is the magnitude of an impulse calculated?

The magnitude of an impulse is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the time it is applied for. The formula for calculating impulse is: Impulse = Force x Time.

3. Why is it important to plot the magnitude of an impulse?

Plotting the magnitude of an impulse allows us to visualize the force applied to an object over time. This can help us analyze the impact of the force and understand the behavior of the object.

4. What are some common units used to measure the magnitude of an impulse?

The most common units used to measure the magnitude of an impulse are Newton-seconds (N∙s) or kilogram-meters per second (kg∙m/s).

5. Can the magnitude of an impulse be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of an impulse can be negative. This indicates that the force applied to the object is in the opposite direction of its motion. A negative impulse can also mean that the object is losing momentum.