Magnitude of electric force on a proton

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 10K views
Sox281212
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Two protons are 2.5fm apart.
What is the magnitude of the electric force on one proton due to the other proton?

Homework Equations


Fe = K|q1||q2| / r2

The Attempt at a Solution


Fe = (9 x 109)x(1.6 x 10-19)2 / (2.5 x 10-15)2
Fe = 37 N

I got the answer but I don't understand why I am able to use e= 1.6 x 10-19 as q1 and q2? could someone explain? thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sox281212 said:
I got the answer but I don't understand why I am able to use e= 1.6 x 10-19 as q1 and q2? could someone explain? thanks
You have two charges:
q1 = 1.6e-19C
q2 = 1.6e-19C
why wouldn't the formula F = kq1q2/r2 apply here?
 
Wait, I'm confused.. isn't 1.6 x 10^-19 the charge of an electron?! Oh wait, is it because charge of electron = charge of proton if its neutral?
 
Sox281212 said:
Wait, I'm confused.. isn't 1.6 x 10^-19 the charge of an electron?! Oh wait, is it because charge of electron = charge of proton if its neutral?

+1.6 x 10^-19 C is the charge of a proton. -1.6 x 10^-19 C is the charge of an electron. They are the same magnitude but of opposite sign. Also note that the unit is important, 1.6 x 10^-19 is not a charge, it is a number.
 
Sox281212 said:
Wait, I'm confused.. isn't 1.6 x 10^-19 the charge of an electron?! Oh wait, is it because charge of electron = charge of proton if its neutral?
Charge of electron = -charge of proton. The thing that's neutral is the atom, comprising electrons, equal number of protons yielding the "neutrality", plus possibly neutrons which have no charge. ( The exception is ions which do have a net charge. Example: add salt to water, you get mostly sodium and chlorine ions).