Magnitude of Force within incline?

1. Magnitude of Force within incline?????

A block with mass of 5.5kg is held in equilibrium on a frcitionless incline of 34 degrees by the horizontal force F. The acceleration of gravity is 9.81m/s^2

What is the magnitude of F? answer in units of N

What is the magnitude of the normal force? answer in units of N

I converted 5.5 kg to 53.9N

then i used sin of 56 degrees * 53.9 to get the horizontal force of 44.68N

then i used cos of 56 degrees * 53.9 to get the normal force of 30.14N

however both answers were incorrect

2. jcsd
  3. Chegg
    because you need to use sin of 34 not 56 degrees. you have the basic concept of weight the the triangle it forms. but that triangle is proportional the incline, so they have the same angles.

4. ok but sin of 34 * 53.9 = 30.14N

and cos of 34 * 53.9 = 44.68N

so i get the same answers ..... and they are wrong... thats why i am stuck

5. Yeah, use 34 degrees, not 56. Fh= Fg*(sin x)
    Your angle of incline will be the angle you use in the computation.

so Fh= (54.0)*(sin 34) = 30.2 N
    and Fn= (54.0)*(cos 34) = 44.8 N

Double check my work.. but I think thats how you do it..

6. Is there additional information in the problem you didn't include? Because I believe that's correct...

7. those answers are incorrect... thats why i am so lost

8. the drawing shows the incline... the slope of the incline is 34 degrees... the block on it is 5.5 kg which is 53.9N

it slopes up from left to right... there is a line horizontal that is labeled as F.. and above it is a arrow pointing down sayin 34 degrees as well....

where this horizontal line F touches the block is in the top left corner of the block... then an angled line down off of the top left corner of the block slopes down the incline as well

9. those look correct to me too

10. i wish there was a way to draw out what they give u .... i tried to describe it the best i could

11. this is the best that i can describe the drawing shows the incline... the slope of the incline is 34 degrees... the block on it is 5.5 kg which is 53.9N

it slopes up from left to right... there is a line horizontal that is labeled as F.. and above it is a arrow pointing down sayin 34 degrees as well....

where this horizontal line F touches the block is in the top left corner of the block... then an angled line down off of the top left corner of the block slopes down the incline as well

its an online class so when i enter the answer it tells me its wrong

12. did you round before the answer? maybe you need to round only after finding the answer. that can change it by .1 or .01 or whatever

13. and the horizontal comes from the left?

14. i tried answers ranging from 30..05 to 30.2 and the same for 44.65 to 44.70

and they were wrong

15. Yeah, since its an online course where you enter the answer that might throw it off. Try my answers, I was careful with significant figures...

16. i am uploading the picture of the problem online.. i will have the link for u to see it in one minute

17. But I believe since the horizontal force touches the top left corner, and not the center of the block, it does not equal F parallel, so the formula does not apply... Let me give it another shot on paper...

18. Awesome, that would help a lot.

19. check that link for the drawing of the problem

20. Ok, give me a minute I'll figure it out if someone doesn't before me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?