Magnitude of Friction Force - Circular Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a car traveling around a corner and the magnitude of the friction force required to maintain its path. The relevant equation is F=ma, which can be used to calculate the acceleration of the car without needing to know anything about friction. Ultimately, the solution to the problem lies in understanding circular motion and the forces involved.
Chica1975

Homework Statement

A car of mass 1164kg was traveling around a 288m radius corner at a speed of 10.8m/s. What was the magnitude of the fiction force required to maintain the vehicles path?

Homework Equations

F=ma
I have no idea after that

The Attempt at a Solution

I found mg = 11407.20

Can someone please explain about frictional force, I find this very hard, I have read and reread a lot of info but I just don't get it. Especially when I have to apply it to problems and I don't have the coefficient.

I am really stuck, please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to know anything about friction to solve this. You just need to know the acceleration of the car, which is in circular motion with constant speed.
The only force that can cause this acceleration is the friction force.

Thanks but I still have no idea how to tackle this. Can someone please help me.

Anyone?

The magnitude of the friction force in this scenario can be found by using the equation F=ma, where F is the friction force, m is the mass of the car, and a is the centripetal acceleration.

To find the centripetal acceleration, we can use the equation a=v^2/r, where v is the velocity and r is the radius of the circular path. In this case, the velocity is given as 10.8m/s and the radius is 288m. Plugging in these values, we get a=10.8^2/288 = 0.406 m/s^2.

Now, we can plug this value of a into the first equation to find the friction force. F = (1164kg)(0.406m/s^2) = 472.184 N.

The friction force in this case is acting inwards towards the center of the circular path, and it is necessary to maintain the car's path along the curved road. Without this force, the car would continue in a straight line and not be able to make the turn.

The coefficient of friction is not needed in this calculation as it is dependent on the type of surface the car is traveling on. However, it is important to consider the coefficient of friction in real-life situations as it can have a significant impact on the magnitude of the friction force.

1. What is the magnitude of friction force in circular motion?

The magnitude of friction force in circular motion depends on the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces in contact and the normal force exerted by those surfaces. The formula for calculating friction force is F = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force.

2. How does the magnitude of friction force affect circular motion?

The magnitude of friction force can affect circular motion in two ways: 1) It can slow down or stop the circular motion if it is greater than the centripetal force, and 2) It can change the direction of the circular motion if it is not directly opposite the centripetal force.

3. Can the magnitude of friction force be greater than the centripetal force in circular motion?

Yes, the magnitude of friction force can be greater than the centripetal force in circular motion. In this case, the object will slow down and eventually come to a stop. This is because the friction force opposes the direction of motion and reduces the centripetal force needed to maintain circular motion.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the magnitude of friction force in circular motion?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces in contact. A higher coefficient of friction means that the surfaces have a stronger grip on each other, resulting in a greater friction force. Therefore, a higher coefficient of friction will result in a greater magnitude of friction force in circular motion.

5. What factors can cause the magnitude of friction force to change in circular motion?

The magnitude of friction force can change in circular motion due to changes in the coefficient of friction, normal force, or velocity of the object. For example, if the surfaces become rougher, the coefficient of friction will increase, resulting in a greater friction force. Additionally, a decrease in normal force or an increase in velocity will also result in a decrease in the magnitude of friction force.