Magnitude of Friction Force - Circular Motion

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Chica1975
Messages
63
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A car of mass 1164kg was traveling around a 288m radius corner at a speed of 10.8m/s. What was the magnitude of the fiction force required to maintain the vehicles path?


Homework Equations


F=ma
I have no idea after that


The Attempt at a Solution


I found mg = 11407.20

Can someone please explain about frictional force, I find this very hard, I have read and reread a lot of info but I just don't get it. Especially when I have to apply it to problems and I don't have the coefficient.

I am really stuck, please help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to know anything about friction to solve this. You just need to know the acceleration of the car, which is in circular motion with constant speed.
The only force that can cause this acceleration is the friction force.
 
Thanks but I still have no idea how to tackle this. Can someone please help me.