1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of gravitational acceleration at distance r

1. Feb 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find an expression for the ratio g(r)/g(RE) of the magnitude of the gravitational acceleration at a distance r from the centre of the Earth to that at the surface of the Earth, for r > RE, i.e. for points above the surface of the Earth.

2. Relevant equations
    F(grav) = -Gm1m2 / r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was thinking about making r the subject of the equation and hence becoming R(E) and then substituting into the original equation but it doesn't seem to show anything.

I've been looking at this for a while but nothing is clicking any pointers would be very much appreciated as always.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2012 #2
    At the surface of the Earth the force between a mass m and the Earth is

F = mg = ma but that is also equal to GmM/R^2 where R is the radius of the Earth. If the mass m is not near the surface of the Earth R will be different as will the acceleration.

Can you put it together?

4. Feb 11, 2012 #3
    I'm kinda confused.. but it makes sense! Was looking at Fgrav = mg at the surface of the earth and yet above the surface of the earth Fgrav = -Gm1m2 / r^2. I have substituted F=mg into F= -Gm1m2 / r^2 to become mg=-Gm1m2 / r^2 and then g =-Gm/r^2 but don't see how this helps

Doesn't this essentially say that the force of gravity on a body above the surface of the earth is equal to the mass of the planet x gravitational constant x the inverse square of the radius? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Should I be looking at dividing F= -Gm1m2 / r^2 by F=mg?

5. Feb 11, 2012 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You should lay aside the formula f = mg for this problem; it's only applicable for motions that occur very close to the Earth's surface, and is in fact an approximation derived from the general formula, g(r) = G*M/r2 for r equal to the radius of the Earth ± small amounts. The particular value of g(r) obtained with r = RE is assigned to the constant 'g'.

Why not begin by writing the general formula for the acceleration twice, one for each of the radii: r and RE. Then form the ratio of the two expressions, cancelling common terms.

6. Feb 11, 2012 #5
    Ok, here's what I've done..

Taken g(r) = -GM/r^2 and g(Re) = -GM/Re^2 so putting and cancelling out G and M then g(r)/g(Re) = Re^2/r^2

Does this look plausible? I've put in a few figures and when both g(re) and g(r) = 6x10^6m then the ratio is 1... The shape of the graph is also an inverse exponential...

7. Feb 11, 2012 #6

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that's fine.

8. Feb 11, 2012 #7
    Thank you very much for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook