1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of Perpendicular Component.

1. Oct 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the components of F that act along rod AC and perpendicular to it. Point B is locateda distance f along the rod from end C

http://imgur.com/iGJkN
    Given:
    F = 600 N
    a = 4 m
    b = 6 m
    c = 4 m
    d = 3 m
    e = 4 m
    f = 3 m

I have no clue where to start. please help!
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2012 #2

Ibix

Science Advisor

If you knew that - for the sake of argument - the rod lay along the vector (1,2,3) and the force was acting along (8,-1,6), could you solve the problem?

4. Oct 2, 2012 #3
    how did you get those numbers.

5. Oct 3, 2012 #4

Ibix

Science Advisor

I pulled them out of the air. I'm trying to find out what you know how to do.

I'll infer from your answer that your problem is that you don't know how to get the directions of the rod and the force, but could take it from there.

You need the vectors along the rod and the force. You can always get these by writing the position vectors of two points in the line of the rod/force and taking the difference.

The point A is on the rod. It lies a distance a directly above the origin, so its position vector is (0,0,a). Can you find another point on the rod, and two on the line of the force?

6. Oct 3, 2012 #5
    if i take the magnitude of the rod AC then subtract 3 m will i be able to get point B. then i would be able to find the vector components of force BD.

7. Oct 3, 2012 #6
    i found a solution her but it does not show all the steps and i cant understand it.
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/48470460/113/Problem-2-116 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. Oct 3, 2012 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

attachment.php?attachmentid=51472&stc=1&d=1349274705.png

A start would be to find a unit vector directed along the line from point A to point C, and a unit vector directed along the line from point B to point D, the latter one being in the direction of the force vector, F.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  9. Oct 3, 2012 #8
    i have found the direction vector of AC, but i dont know how they got the "r" value.

10. Oct 3, 2012 #9
    i have gotten to the step where finding the parallel component of the vector. am i supposed to use dot product to find projection.

11. Oct 3, 2012 #10

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Please give some concrete results.

I can't give a definite response to such non-specific answers.

12. Oct 3, 2012 #11
    This problem has been solved

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook