1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of Potential Difference Between Two Points

1. Mar 10, 2013 #1
    potential diffeence.jpg 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]

So I found this problem online, and I really do not know how to go about solving it! My professor has done similar problems in class, but it's still a little confusing.

A current of 1.2 A flows from A to B. Therefore, the magnitude of the potential difference between points A and B is approximately

2. Relevant equations
    I know Δv=IR and Ampere/Volt makes an Ω

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, the image attached already gives the answer, it should be 6.0 V. The current is given (1.2 A), so I'm guessing by the units that I must multiply something with Ω to get Volts. Should I add up the resistors?

Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2013 #2

lewando

Gold Member

To do this problem, you are going to need to be able to "add" resistors in parallel and series. Need help with that?

4. Mar 10, 2013 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Sure. Find the equivalent resistance between points A and B. Then see what potential drop occurs across it due to the given current value.

5. Mar 10, 2013 #4

Haha, lewando, yes please!

Would we consider the two 6Ω resistors parallel? And if so, the potential difference there is the same? We are getting to the point where I just smile and nod during the lecture even though I am completely lost!

6. Mar 10, 2013 #5

lewando

Gold Member

7. Mar 10, 2013 #6
    Thank you so much! I just had an epiphany and this is all way less complicated! Thank you to all who replied. And thank you so much, lewando. I wasn't taking the reciprocals of the resistances and so I was adding them incorrectly, but now it all makes much more sense. I ended up with an R_eq of 5Ω, which when multiplied by 1.2 A yields a potential difference of 6 V. Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted