Magnitude of the flux through a rectangle

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rectangle in the xz-plane and the calculation of electric flux through the rectangle using different parameters and unit vectors. The basis for solving the problem is the same, and the vector representing an area element is normal to the element. The volume swept out is the dot product of the area element and a vector element. In the second part, the electric field has a J component and the answer is correct by multiplying the area by the unit vector. The negative in the J component is omitted because a rectangle encloses no volume and the positive value is taken by convention.
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
A 2.0 cm × 3.5 cm rectangle lies in the xz-plane.
What is the magnitude of the electric flux through the rectangle if E⃗ =(150ı^−240k^)N/C?
What is the magnitude of the electric flux through the rectangle if E⃗ =(150ı^−240ȷ^)N/C?
Relevant Equations
E.F. = E*A
I have attached the work to this problem and although it has different parameters than what I have listed in my post the basis to solving the problem is the same.

I am confused on why this rectangle in this problem is considered to b in the j unit vector direction. Is it because its face will face the j axis?

Attachments

• WORK.jpeg
    WORK.jpeg
    31.3 KB · Views: 198
Physics news on Phys.org
quittingthecult said:
Homework Statement:: A 2.0 cm × 3.5 cm rectangle lies in the xz-plane.
What is the magnitude of the electric flux through the rectangle if E⃗ =(150ı^−240k^)N/C?
What is the magnitude of the electric flux through the rectangle if E⃗ =(150ı^−240ȷ^)N/C?
Relevant Equations:: E.F. = E*A

I have attached the work to this problem and although it has different parameters than what I have listed in my post the basis to solving the problem is the same.

I am confused on why this rectangle in this problem is considered to b in the j unit vector direction. Is it because its face will face the j axis?
The vector representing an area element is normal to the element, yes. If it is part of a surface enclosing a volume of interest then it point out of the volume.
Note that if the area element ##\vec {dS}## is translated along a vector element ##\vec {dr}## then the volume swept out is the dot product.

Likes guyvsdcsniper
haruspex said:
The vector representing an area element is normal to the element, yes. If it is part of a surface enclosing a volume of interest then it point out of the volume.
Note that if the area element ##\vec {dS}## is translated along a vector element ##\vec {dr}## then the volume swept out is the dot product.
So I know that If I dot product to different unit vectors I get 0, hence the part of the homework question I posted is 0.

The second part of the question, the electric field has a J component so I was able to multiply the area by the unit vector. My answer came out to be .168 N/C which is correct.

But I was wondering why do we omit the negative in the electric fields J component?

quittingthecult said:
But I was wondering why do we omit the negative in the electric fields J component?
Because a rectangle is a surface that encloses no volume, therefore the "outward normal" cannot be defined. In such cases, one takes the positive value for the flux by convention.

1. What is the definition of "magnitude of flux through a rectangle"?

The magnitude of flux through a rectangle is a measure of the amount of a vector field that passes through the surface of a rectangle. It is typically represented by the symbol φ and is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field and the normal vector to the surface.

2. How is the magnitude of flux through a rectangle different from the magnitude of flux through a circle?

The main difference between the magnitude of flux through a rectangle and a circle is the shape of the surface. A rectangle has four straight edges, while a circle has a curved edge. This difference affects the calculation of the normal vector and therefore the overall magnitude of flux.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of flux through a rectangle?

The magnitude of flux through a rectangle is affected by the strength and direction of the vector field, the size and orientation of the rectangle, and the angle between the vector field and the normal vector to the surface. Additionally, the shape of the surface and any boundaries or obstacles can also impact the magnitude of flux.

4. How is the magnitude of flux through a rectangle used in real-world applications?

The concept of magnitude of flux through a rectangle is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and fluid mechanics. It is used to calculate the flow of fluids through pipes, the amount of electricity passing through a circuit, and the heat transfer in a system, among other applications.

5. Can the magnitude of flux through a rectangle be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of flux through a rectangle can be negative. This occurs when the vector field and the normal vector have opposite directions, resulting in a negative dot product. This indicates that the flow or transfer of the vector quantity is in the opposite direction of the surface normal.