1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of vector, negative in part.

1. Dec 10, 2011 #1
    This is actually not a full problem, just a part of one I'm having trouble with:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If I have a acceleration vector, say [ b[itex]k^{2}[/itex][itex]e^{kt}[/itex] - b[itex]c^{2}[/itex][itex]e^{kt}[/itex] ][itex]e_{r}[/itex] + [ 2bkc[itex]e^{kt}[/itex] ] [itex]e_{θ}[/itex]. How can I find its magnitude?

2. Relevant equations

Mag vector |a| = (a^2)^(1/2)

3. The attempt at a solution

As I square [itex]_{e}r[/itex], the cross term is still negative under the radical, and doesn't subtract cleanly:

[ [itex]b^{2}k^{4}e^{kt}[/itex] + [itex]b^{2}c^{4}e^{kt}[/itex] - 2[itex]b^{2}k^{2}c^{2}e^{kt}[/itex] ][itex]^{1/2}[/itex]

I'm either doing some wrong algebra or missing something obvious I think?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2011 #2
    Well I'm stupid.. neglected e_theta completely out of sheer confusion from the first part... guess what it does when you add it in.

...Maybe this thread should be deleted. U_U Sometimes I just need a new perspective I guess.

4. Dec 10, 2011 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Glad it worked out. FYI, I have two comments to help you in the future:

1. Note that [itex](e^{kt})^2 = e^{2kt}, \text{ not } e^{kt}[/itex]

2. You can enclose an entire equation or large expression in itex-/itex tags, you do not need to use separate itex-/itex tags for selected terms.

So instead of

[ [itex]bk^{2}[/itex][itex]e^{kt}[/itex] - b[itex]c^{2}[/itex][itex]e^{kt}[/itex] ][itex]e_{r}[/itex] + [ 2bkc[itex]e^{kt}[/itex] ] [itex]e_{θ}[/itex]

you can write

[itex] [ bk^{2}e^{kt} - bc^{2}e^{kt} ] e_{r} + [ 2bkce^{kt} ] e_{θ} [/itex]

which gives you

[itex] [ bk^{2}e^{kt} - bc^{2}e^{kt} ] e_{r} + [ 2bkce^{kt} ] e_{θ} [/itex]

5. Dec 10, 2011 #4
    Thanks Redbelly! I did have e^kt as e^2kt in my calculation, I just forgot to transcribe that correctly.

The itex thing on the other hand will probably save me some time on my next questions! :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook