Derivation of formula of normal acceleration

In summary: The normal acceleration is given by$$a_c=\frac{v^2}{R}$$where$$R=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}= 2.0-0.1t=r_0 - kt$$and$$a_c=\frac{k^2}{r_0-kt} + w^2$$
Granger

Homework Statement

2. Homework Equations [/B]
Consider a particle that is described by $$x(t)=(2.0-0.1t) \cos(0.5t)$$ and $$y(t)=(2.0-0.1t) \sin(0.5t)$$ t in seconds and x,y in meters.

In previous subquestions we were asked to determine an expression for the module of the velocity vector and the tangent acceleration. The expressions obtained are:

$$v=\sqrt{k^2 + w^2(r_0-kt)^2}$$

$$a_t=-\frac{kw^2(r_0-kt)}{\sqrt{k^2+w^2(r_0-kt)^2}}$$

with $$k=0.1$$ and $w=0.5$ and $$r_0=2.0$$.Now my question is in the next question, to find an expression with the normal acceleration.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was to take

$$a_c = \frac{v^2}{R}$$

$$R = \sqrt{x^2+y^2}= 2.0-0.1t=r_0 - kt$$

$$a_c=\frac{k^2}{r_0-kt} + w^2$$

The answer given by my textbook is however:

$$a_c= 4k^2w^2 + w^4(r_0-kt)^2-\frac{k^2w^4(r_0-kt)^2}{{k^2+w^2(r_0-kt)^2}}$$

I don't understand how this formula was derived. It seems like the third term of the sum is $$-a_t^2$$ but I can't understand the other two terms and what variables ares involved. And also I want to know why my answer is wrong or if it is equivalent to the one given, I can't understand that. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you clarify what the comma in the argument of the trig functions means?

kuruman said:
Can you clarify what the comma in the argument of the trig functions means?
Yes it should be a dot (0.5 the number) sorry

Granger said:
Yes it should be a dot (0.5 the number) sorry
That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure. Here is what I would do. I would find an expression for the x and y components of the acceleration by taking the double derivative. Then, I would find the radial component of the acceleration by taking the dot product with a unit vector in the radial direction (negative radial unit vector for centripetal). Note that $$\hat{r}=\frac{x \hat{x}+y \hat{y}}{r}.$$

kuruman said:
That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure. Here is what I would do. I would find an expression for the x and y components of the acceleration by taking the double derivative. Then, I would find the radial component of the acceleration by taking the dot product with a unit vector in the radial direction (negative radial unit vector for centripetal). Note that $$\hat{r}=\frac{x \hat{x}+y \hat{y}}{r}.$$

I tried what you said and obtained:
$$\hat{r}=(\cos(wt), \sin (wt))$$

$$\vec{a}= (2kw \sin(wt) - w^2(r_0-kt)\cos(wt), -2kw \cos(wt) - w^2(r_0-kt)\sin(wt))$$

However taking the dot product I obtain $$-w^2(r_0-kt)$$.

I think I might be calculating the radial versor you mentioned wrong (I took both components and divided by $$(r_o-kt)$$

kuruman said:
find the radial component of the acceleration by taking the dot product with a unit vector in the radial direction
But what is the "radial" direction here? This is an arithmetic spiral. The instantaneous centre of curvature will not be the origin.
The "normal" acceleration means normal to the velocity. How do you find the component of a vector normal to a given vector?

Oh! So if the vector I want I call it $$(r_x, r_y)$$ then I take the fact that the dot product of this vector and the velocity vector is 0, right?
But what other condition can I take to have a system that I can solve (because it's not easy to find a normal vector just looking at the velocity vector (or is it?)

Granger said:
Oh! So if the vector I want I call it $$(r_x, r_y)$$ then I take the fact that the dot product of this vector and the velocity vector is 0, right?
But what other condition can I take to have a system that I can solve (because it's not easy to find a normal vector just looking at the velocity vector (or is it?)
Try deducing the normal acceleration from the tangential acceleration and the total acceleration.

Edit: the book answer is the expression for ac2
There is a somewhat neater way of writing it.

Likes Granger

1. What is normal acceleration?

Normal acceleration is the acceleration of an object moving along a curved path, in the direction perpendicular to the path. It is also known as centripetal acceleration.

2. What is the formula for normal acceleration?

The formula for normal acceleration is a = v^2/r, where a is the normal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the curved path.

3. How is the formula for normal acceleration derived?

The formula for normal acceleration can be derived using the principles of calculus and Newton's second law of motion. It involves taking the second derivative of the position function with respect to time.

4. Can the formula for normal acceleration be applied to objects moving in a straight line?

No, the formula for normal acceleration is only applicable to objects moving along a curved path. For objects moving in a straight line, the acceleration is given by a = Δv/Δt, where Δv is the change in velocity and Δt is the change in time.

5. What are some common real-world examples of normal acceleration?

Some common examples of normal acceleration include a car making a turn on a curved road, a roller coaster moving along a loop, and a satellite orbiting around a planet. In all of these cases, the object experiences a force towards the center of the curved path, resulting in normal acceleration.