Maintaining -320°F Liquid Nitrogen for Injection Molding

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a closed loop plumbing system with liquid nitrogen to cool hot spots in a plastic injection mold. The system involves injecting liquid nitrogen for 20 seconds and then depleting it from the line and returning it to the holding tank. The discussion also addresses concerns about maintaining the temperature of the liquid nitrogen and potential alternatives such as retooling the mold or using a chiller in line. The feasibility of cooling the mold before the plastic reaches the hot spot area is also considered.
Diamond Dave
I have a plastic injection mold, the part I am running has hot spots in the part when it is being shot in the mold.
Would like to try to incorporate a closed loop plumbing system to carry liquid nitrogen past the back side of the cavity in hopes to pull the trapped heat from the hot spot area. Injected under pressure for 20 seconds. Then deplete the liquid nitrogen from the line and return it to it's holding tank. Do not want to contaminate water cooling lines, plastic material or the air quality. That is my reason for the closed system.
Now the question I have is: What do I need to maintain the −320 °F of liquid nitrogen in the holding tank?
I'm pretty sure the ambient heat when it pass through the mold will sooner or later cause the liquid nitrogen in the holding talk to boil when it reaches room temperature.
I would appreciate any input that could steer me in the right direction of maintaining -320°F

Engineering news on Phys.org
Diamond Dave said:
I have a plastic injection mold, the part I am running has hot spots in the part when it is being shot in the mold.
Would like to try to incorporate a closed loop plumbing system to carry liquid nitrogen past the back side of the cavity in hopes to pull the trapped heat from the hot spot area. Injected under pressure for 20 seconds. Then deplete the liquid nitrogen from the line and return it to it's holding tank. Do not want to contaminate water cooling lines, plastic material or the air quality. That is my reason for the closed system.
Now the question I have is: What do I need to maintain the −320 °F of liquid nitrogen in the holding tank?
I'm pretty sure the ambient heat when it pass through the mold will sooner or later cause the liquid nitrogen in the holding talk to boil when it reaches room temperature.
I would appreciate any input that could steer me in the right direction of maintaining -320°F
The LN2 is going to boil long before it reaches room temperature. It's going to be boiling once it reaches -319° F. In order to cool any hot spots on your mold, the LN2 must absorb some heat, and that's going to raise its temperature immediately. LN2 can remain liquid only between -346° F and -320° F, a rather narrow temperature range.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen

The pressure build up will explode in a closed system. I know it's expensive, but your best bet is to retool the mold with cooling passages. Are you using chilled water in your cooling system? You can always insert a chiller in line.

SteamKing said:
The LN2 is going to boil long before it reaches room temperature. It's going to be boiling once it reaches -319° F. In order to cool any hot spots on your mold, the LN2 must absorb some heat, and that's going to raise its temperature immediately. LN2 can remain liquid only between -346° F and -320° F, a rather narrow temperature range.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen
So instead of the LN2 being in the line behind the mold for 20 sec. after the material is packed. Do you think it would serve a better service
to give a quick shot before the plastic is packed. Chilling the cavity before the hot plastic reaches the area would have the same effect.
Kevin McHugh said:
The pressure build up will explode in a closed system. I know it's expensive, but your best bet is to retool the mold with cooling passages. Are you using chilled water in your cooling system? You can always insert a chiller in line.
Kevin McHugh said:
The tool I made is with cooling lines and the water going into the mold is coming from a chiller. What I have when I say closed loop is a hose used only for LN2 it would be on demand usage the pressure pump maintains the low line pressure. On/off valve going to intake port (copper tube) on mold. The ports are directed at and close to hot spots. Without knowing what cycle time for LN2 would be needed I would want a return line to the tank. Once it is dialed in and working It may not need a return line. It may only need an exhaust tube. LN2 has been used in molds for years but delivered a different way.

1. How do you maintain -320°F liquid nitrogen for injection molding?

Maintaining -320°F liquid nitrogen for injection molding involves using specialized equipment such as cryogenic freezers and dewars to keep the liquid nitrogen at a constant temperature. The equipment should be regularly monitored and calibrated to ensure proper storage and handling of the liquid nitrogen.

2. Why is it important to maintain the temperature of liquid nitrogen for injection molding?

The temperature of liquid nitrogen is critical for injection molding as it affects the quality and consistency of the final product. If the temperature is not maintained, it can lead to defects and inconsistencies in the molded parts.

3. What are the potential risks of improper maintenance of liquid nitrogen for injection molding?

Improper maintenance of liquid nitrogen for injection molding can result in hazardous situations such as explosions or suffocation. It can also lead to product defects and loss of productivity.

4. How often should the equipment used for maintaining liquid nitrogen be checked?

The equipment used for maintaining liquid nitrogen should be checked regularly, at least once a month, to ensure proper functioning. Additionally, any changes in temperature or malfunctioning equipment should be addressed immediately to prevent any potential risks.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when handling liquid nitrogen for injection molding?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when handling liquid nitrogen. These include wearing protective gear such as gloves and goggles, ensuring proper ventilation, and following proper handling and storage procedures to prevent accidents or injuries.