Major Access = Averate Distance over Eccentric Anomaly

In summary, the conversation discusses Newton's use of Kepler's law in determining the period of an orbit, as well as the substitution of the major-axis for the average distance in this calculation. The speaker also mentions their prior knowledge of Appolonius and their search for understanding regarding the relationship between the major axis and average distance in an elliptical orbit. They then share their intuitive understanding of the balance and symmetry of an ellipse in relation to this concept.
emstone
Hi,

This is my first post and I am truly perplexed. I am reading principia in a class and it seems that Newton has taken Kepler's law which requires the average distance over the eccentric anomaly that he measured to determine the period, or vise-versa. Newton has substituted the major-axis for the average distance in this proportionality.

Now, I have done Appolonius before but once again, not from a textbook, only the original source so go easy on me.

I searched the web to try to understand why this is true but everywhere just says it is true! Can anyone shed some light on why the major axis is equal or proportional to the average distance from the center of a body in an elliptical orbit?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think I figured this out in my sleep intuitively. All points that aren't at the ends of the major axis of thh ellipse are balanced as the shape is symmetrical. If you take the mean distance from the focii to the ends of the major axis and divide then I think you get half of the major axis!

1. What is Major Access?

Major Access is a term used in orbital mechanics to describe the point in an orbit where the distance between an object and its primary body, such as a planet or star, is at its maximum. It is also known as apoapsis or apogee.

2. What is Averate Distance?

Averate Distance, also known as semi-major axis, is the average distance between an object and its primary body in its elliptical orbit. It is half of the longest diameter of the elliptical orbit.

3. What is Eccentric Anomaly?

Eccentric Anomaly is a term used in orbital mechanics to describe the angular distance between an object and its primary body, relative to the center of the elliptical orbit. It is used to calculate the position of an object in its orbit at a specific time.

4. How is Major Access related to Averate Distance and Eccentric Anomaly?

Major Access is directly related to Averate Distance and Eccentric Anomaly. The Averate Distance is the distance between the primary body and the Major Access point, while Eccentric Anomaly is used to calculate the position of the object at the Major Access point.

5. Why is Major Access = Averate Distance over Eccentric Anomaly important?

Major Access = Averate Distance over Eccentric Anomaly is an important equation in orbital mechanics as it helps scientists and engineers to predict the position of an object in its orbit at a specific time. It is also used to calculate the orbital parameters of objects in space, such as satellites and planets.