1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Make a bridge out of popsicle sticks homework

1. Feb 26, 2006 #1
    Hey all,

I've got a project that I have to do. I have to make a bridge out of popsicle sticks. However, it's a competition and only the winner receives full credit. The bridge with the highest ratio of weight held to bridge weight wins.

Weight Held (Pounds)
    ------------------------- = Bridge Ratio
    Weight of Bridge (Grams)

Here are the specs:

Road Deck
    ---Thickness: Max 1"
    ---Length: 14"<X<18"
    ---Width: Max 6"

Substructure (Optional)
    ---Depth: Max 3"
    ---Length: Max 14"

Superstructure (Optional)
    ---Height: No Max
    ---Length: Max 18"

There will be a whole in the center 3/8" to 1/2". The bridge will be threaded onto a rod followed by a small piece of wood (To even out the pressure a bit) and then a bolt.

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | Bridge

-------................| |............-------
    \......./................| |.Rod.......\....../
    .|.....|.................| |.............|.....|
    .|.....|.Supports....| |.............|.....|

Any ideas, suggestions, advice, or help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2006 #2
    A buddy of mine won one of these things (except with balsa wood) in his statics class. He attributed his win to two factors:

a) He designed the whole bridge in CAD.
    b) He used Gorilla Glue as the adhesive.
  4. Feb 27, 2006 #3
    Oh, sorry, I guess I forgot to post it.

Posicle Sticks: No Max
    White/Wood Glue

Also 2 of the large flat surfaces of popsicle sticks may not be glued together.

Thanks for trying at least.

5. Feb 27, 2006 #4
    One thing to remember is that the distance between the top chord and bottom chord of a truss type bridge needs to be maxed out in the middle. So, if you are only going to use a road deck for the structure, you only get 1" of separation. I would look at some sort of bow truss and be sure that the deck distrubutes the point lode along the entire truss.
  6. Feb 27, 2006 #5
    Also, build the bridge to the minimum span. It appears that there is a maximum and minimum length. Find out the exact rules.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?