Make a conjecture about the sum? Confused on what they want exactly

In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating a sum for various values of n and making a conjecture about a formula for the sum for any value of n. The sum is shown to have a pattern and the participants discuss using factorials and induction to prove the conjecture. The final formula is (n+1)!/(n+1)!-1.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone,

I'm confused on the directions. It says, Evalute the sum, for n = 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. Make a conjecture about a formula for this sume for general n, and prove your conjecture by mathematical induction.

This is the sum and my work:
http://img351.imageshack.us/img351/9551/2pq2.jpg I'm having a hard time figuring out that formula, and what exactly is a conjecture? In the other readings and this one they don't say anything about a conjecture.

I was thinking that maybe they just want me to place an n where the k is?
like n/(n+1)! ?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you actually add up the fractions? You should see a pattern emerge.

I kind of see a pattern at the very last 2 terms,
it goes from 119/120 to 719/720, the numerator is incremented by 600 and the denominator also by 600.
But before that it goes
n = 1
1/2
n = 2
5/6
n = 3
23/24
n = 4
119/120
n = 5
719/120
n = 6

if i keep going i get
n = 7
2519/2520

Oo i see it now hah...

The denominator is +1 the numerator
but if i use n that won't work for all cases.
n/n+1, n >= 1

Is there a technique to approach conjectures? I see the pattern but i don't see how n is producing the numbers.

The denominators are 1,2,6,24,120,... Do you recognize these?

I know they are factorials, like
1! = 1
2! = 1*2 = 2
3! = 1*2*3 = 6
4! = 1*2*3*4 = 24
5! = 1*2*3*4*5 = 120

which is 1/n!

I think i got it, am i allowed to write the following?

Let n be an integer, where n >= 2 such that Sumnation k = 2 to n (n!-1)/n!

THis also doesn't work i just saw, because i can't change the orginal sum, which is letting k = 1, i can't just change it can i?

Is this what a conjecture is? I'm guessing the pattern of the output and I must prove the right and left are equal?

http://img445.imageshack.us/img445/5030/lastscanrf1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well then just use (n+1)! instead of n!. By "conjecture" they mean find a formula that seems right (works for low numbers). Then you need to prove the formula is correct using induction.

Ahh yes! it works, thanks a ton Status! :smile:

1. What is a conjecture?

A conjecture is an educated guess or hypothesis about a particular mathematical relationship or pattern. It is based on observations or evidence, but it has not been proven to be true.

2. How do you make a conjecture about the sum of two numbers?

To make a conjecture about the sum of two numbers, you need to observe a pattern or relationship between the numbers and their sums. This can involve looking at multiple examples and noting any similarities or patterns.

3. Why is it important to make a conjecture about the sum of two numbers?

Making a conjecture about the sum of two numbers can help to identify patterns and relationships between numbers. This can lead to a better understanding of mathematical concepts and can also be used to make predictions or solve problems.

4. How can you test a conjecture about the sum of two numbers?

To test a conjecture about the sum of two numbers, you can use mathematical operations to calculate the sums of different numbers and see if the conjecture holds true. You can also look for counterexamples that disprove the conjecture.

5. Can a conjecture about the sum of two numbers be proven?

No, a conjecture cannot be proven to be true. It can only be supported by evidence and observations. However, if a conjecture is proven to be false, it is no longer considered a conjecture and is instead considered a false statement.