Make a rough estimate of the volume of your body (in cm3).

In summary, to approximate your body as a volume of cylinder, you could remove both arms and lay them along your legs. You could remove both feet and pack them around your neck. The final cylindrical package would be as long and round as possible.
Potential123

8X10^5 cm^3
8X10^3 cm^3
5X10^4 cm^3
5X10^3 cm^3
8X10^4 cm^3

How to solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to choose one of the following.

Potential123 said:

8X10^5 cm^3
8X10^3 cm^3
5X10^4 cm^3
5X10^3 cm^3
8X10^4 cm^3

How to solve this problem?
Well, we have no idea how big you are :smile: but perhaps you could imagine trying to squeeze a full-size replica of yourself into as short as possible a length of round pipe. So for ease of transport, you could remove both arms and lay them along your legs. Perhaps remove both feet and pack them around your neck. How long and how round would you estimate the final cylindrical package to be?

Now determine the volume of that cylinder, in cm^3.

For greater accuracy, maybe you could separately estimate the dimensions of your leg as a cylinder, your arm, and your torso, then use arithmetic to get your final answer, allowing a bit more for your head.

I have a very simple method that will give a good first approximation but this is a homework problem and you have not shown any effort yet.

For quite a rough estimate, you can approximate your body as a bag of water and use the proportion, for water, 1kg →1 L.

CAF123 said:
For quite a rough estimate, you can approximate your body as a bag of water and use the proportion, for water, 1kg →1 L.

CAF123, the general rule on this forum is to insist that an OP show SOME attempt to solve a problem themselves before we chime in. We are not here to spoon-feed people answers, as that doesn't help them learn how to think.

phinds said:
CAF123, the general rule on this forum is to insist that an OP show SOME attempt to solve a problem themselves before we chime in. We are not here to spoon-feed people answers, as that doesn't help them learn how to think.
I am well aware of the forum rules, I just thought that since a method approximating the body as a volume of cylinder was introduced, I would give another way. On reflection, maybe yes, I should have waited - all I can do is apologise.

1. How do you measure the volume of a human body?

The volume of a human body can be measured using either water displacement or mathematical formulas. Water displacement involves submerging the body in a container of water and measuring the amount of water that is displaced. Mathematical formulas use measurements such as height, weight, and body mass index to estimate the volume.

2. What is the average volume of a human body?

The average volume of a human body varies depending on factors such as age, gender, and body composition. On average, an adult male has a body volume of around 66,000 cm3 and an adult female has a volume of around 52,000 cm3.

3. Does body volume change with weight loss or gain?

Yes, body volume can change with weight loss or gain. When a person loses weight, their body volume decreases due to a decrease in fat and muscle mass. When a person gains weight, their body volume increases due to an increase in fat and muscle mass.

4. Can body volume be used to determine overall health?

Body volume is just one aspect of overall health and should not be used as the sole measure of health. Other factors such as body mass index, body fat percentage, and overall physical and mental well-being are also important to consider.

5. Is there a correlation between body volume and height?

There is a weak correlation between body volume and height, meaning that taller individuals may have slightly higher body volumes than shorter individuals due to their larger body size. However, this correlation is not strong enough to accurately estimate a person's body volume based on their height alone.