Make our own permanent conductive ink

• Thread starter abdulbadii
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ink
In summary, it seems that the best way to make permanent conductive ink would be to find a manufacturer who has a large economy of scale, and to buy the ink already made.
abdulbadii
TL;DR Summary
How do we make permanent conductive ink the cheapest way?
How do we make our own permanent conductive ink for a marker or pen the cheapest, most practical way?

Physics news on Phys.org
abdulbadii said:
Summary:: How do we make permanent conductive ink the cheapest way?

How do we make our own permanent conductive ink for a marker or pen the cheapest, most practical way?
What have you found in your Google searches so far?

Likes sysprog
abdulbadii said:
Summary:: How do we make permanent conductive ink the cheapest way?

It seems to me that a manufacturer's economy of scale would make it cheaper to buy it ready-made than to make it yourself.

Likes abdulbadii
I'm reminded of the old myth about the United States spending a few million to develop a pen that would write in any position, and in zero G. The Russians spared all the R&D and just used a pencil, according to the myth.

Maybe softer pencil lead development would help...

Likes sysprog
ChemAir said:
The Russians spared all the R&D and just used a pencil, according to the myth.
I thought the graphite drifted around inside MIR, coating the electrical insulators and causing faults that shut MIR down, then it fell out of the sky.

Likes ChemAir and sysprog
ChemAir said:
I'm reminded of the old myth about the United States spending a few million to develop a pen that would write in any position, and in zero G. The Russians spared all the R&D and just used a pencil, according to the myth.

Maybe softer pencil lead development would help...
From: Smithsonian Magazine Fisher Space Pen Article ##-##

1630828324219.png

Fisher also invented the “universal refill” ink cartridge, ultimately leading him to create the very first “Anti-Gravity” pen, the AG7, which was patented in 1966 and famously used by astronauts during the Apollo space missions. However, it’s a popular misconception that NASA invested millions of dollars into the development of the zero-gravity writing instrument. They didn’t. Nor did the space agency approach Fisher to develop a pen for use by American astronauts. According to a 2006 piece in Scientific American, the truth is that Fisher had been working on the design for years and had invested $1 million into the pen’s development. But Fisher wasn’t dreaming of astronauts writing postcards from Earth orbit, he was just looking to make a good pen that worked without leaking. After years of research and prototypes, he created what he believed to be the perfect pen – a pen with ink that wasn’t exposed to air and didn’t rely on gravity so it wouldn’t leak or dry up; a pen that could write underwater and function at temperatures ranging from -30 to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Fisher’s breakthrough was perfectly timed with the space race and he offered the pens to NASA for consideration. After two years of testing, it was approved and Fisher’s pen accompanied Apollo 7 astronauts into space.​
I'm a fan of the cartridges, but I prefer 'normal' pens for ergonomic reasons ##-## I think that this one (model AG7) is better for 'us regular folks' than than the original 'bullet' style with the ultra-losable cap:

1630829010581.png

Last edited:
Likes ChemAir
@Keith_McClary, I followed your link, and immediately found the following video, which I think should be of interest to @abdulbadii, although it wouldn't be considered "permanent" as presented ##-## perhaps he could do some tweaking . . .

The most highly conductive inks use silver as the conductor, as it's the most conductive element, both electrically and thermally.

Last edited:
Baluncore said:
I thought the graphite drifted around inside MIR, coating the electrical insulators and causing faults that shut MIR down, then it fell out of the sky.
Loose graphite might be a problem. Just wanted to suggest a writing implement that might leave a conductive path.

I have no knowledge of conductive inks that remain so after the ink dries. Doesn't mean they don't exist, however.

ChemAir said:
Doesn't mean they don't exist, however.
I purchased some on the web last month.
Some can also be soldered.

• Informative
Likes Keith_McClary and ChemAir
Baluncore said:
I purchased some on the web last month.
Some can also be soldered.

Thanks. My general experience/history is that you can't rely on an application product to dry in a way that is *exactly* the way you desire. Cracks can appear as the product shrinks during volatile evaporation, but that, by itself, isn't a problem, if sufficient R&D has been applied, additives have been added...

ChemAir said:
Cracks can appear as the product shrinks during volatile evaporation, but that, by itself, isn't a problem, if sufficient R&D has been applied, additives have been added...
That is why it is so difficult to "Make our own permanent conductive ink".

Likes ChemAir
Baluncore said:
That is why it is so difficult to "Make our own permanent conductive ink".
I completely agree, and am not the OP. The solution will be difficult, and/or expensive.

1. What is conductive ink?

Conductive ink is a type of ink that contains electrically conductive materials, such as silver, carbon, or copper, which allow it to conduct electricity. It can be used for various applications, such as printed circuit boards, sensors, and electronic devices.

2. How can I make my own permanent conductive ink?

To make your own permanent conductive ink, you will need to mix a conductive material, such as silver powder or graphite, with a binder, such as acrylic or polyurethane. The mixture can then be applied onto a surface using a brush, pen, or screen printing method.

3. What are the advantages of using permanent conductive ink?

Permanent conductive ink has several advantages, including its ability to adhere to various surfaces, its low cost compared to traditional methods of creating conductive traces, and its flexibility, which allows it to be used for flexible electronic devices.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when making or using conductive ink?

Yes, it is important to handle conductive ink with caution as some materials, such as silver, can be toxic if ingested or inhaled. It is recommended to wear gloves and a mask when handling the materials and to work in a well-ventilated area.

5. What are some potential applications for permanent conductive ink?

Permanent conductive ink has a wide range of potential applications, including printed circuit boards, touch sensors, RFID tags, and wearable technology. It can also be used for creating custom electronic circuits and prototypes, as well as for educational purposes.