Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using a fountain pen for homemade conductive ink

1. Dec 29, 2016 #1
    I've recently found out about conductive ink and thought i'd make some at home with charcoal. However most guides online always keep using brushes and such and their mix seems to be very low adhesive properties.
    Therefor, I have two questions. Is there a way to make it more like a traditional ink and keep it conductive? Can I pour it into a fountain pen and use it like a normal pen to draw circuits?

If you are wondering which ingridients are going to be used, I am going to follow this specific DIY Conductive Ink because I have all the items needed at home. ( )

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Farhad,
    I think it would be wise to restrict yourself to using brushes: the glue and the grit will not make it through to the nib of a fountain pen. If you want to experiment, better use a conventional pen (the kind you have to dip into the ink from time to time) or a quill pen.
    The recipe in the video is pretty self-explanatory; they add some black paint, probably because the charcoal grit won't do much blackening.
    If you want to experiment: graphite is used for lubrication of locks and hinges and should be pre-ground for you (which will keep the blender-owner a lot happier :smile:). For that matter: pencil lines from a soft pencil might conduct nicely too ! Give it a try !

4. Dec 29, 2016 #3
    Thanks for your response, I will try it out! :D Btw, I thought I'd use pure graphite because I have it laying around.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted