DIY Permanent Marker Ink: Create Your Own Color!

• Chemical/Paint
  • Thread starter Kim Kimmy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diy
In summary, a new member, KimK, is looking to make their own DIY permanent marker ink and has researched using household paint and thinner for the process. They are seeking tips and advice for creating the correct consistency and color, and being cautious of safety measures.
Kim Kimmy
Dear All,

New here. I am an artist and am researching to make my own DIY Permanent marker ink that I can make to fill on an empty marker pen. That way I am free to create the color that I can conjure myself.

I've researched on the internet (eHow.com) that using household paint with gradual mixing in of thinner till I find the correct consistency is the way to go. Any tips or directions would be greatly appreciated

KimK.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kim Kimmy said:
Dear All,

New here. I am an artist and am researching to make my own DIY Permanent marker ink that I can make to fill on an empty marker pen.

I've never tried to do that, but I'm curious whether you intend to fill ordinary markers that are empty or buy the empty markers sold by art supply places ? (e.g. http://artprimo.com/catalog/markers-empty-markers-c-28_76.html That site also sells ink for markers. I think you could mix inks to create custom colors. )

Hi KimK,

Welcome to the forum! Making your own permanent marker ink sounds like a really cool and creative idea. I haven't personally tried it myself, but I have seen some tutorials online about it.

One tip I would suggest is to make sure you use the right type of paint for your ink. Some paints may not mix well with thinner and could result in a clumpy or runny consistency. It's always best to do a small test batch first before making a larger amount.

Another tip is to be patient with the mixing process. It may take some trial and error to get the right consistency and color that you want. Don't be afraid to experiment with different ratios of paint and thinner.

Also, make sure to use proper ventilation and protective gear when working with paint and thinner. Safety should always come first!

I hope this helps and good luck with your DIY permanent marker ink! Let us know how it turns out.

1. How do I create my own permanent marker ink?

To create your own permanent marker ink, you will need to mix together a solvent, a dye or pigment, and a resin or polymer. The specific ingredients and ratios will depend on the color and properties you want for your ink. It is important to wear gloves and work in a well-ventilated area when making your own ink.

2. What can I use as a solvent for my DIY permanent marker ink?

There are several options for solvents you can use in your DIY permanent marker ink, such as rubbing alcohol, acetone, or mineral spirits. It is important to choose a solvent that is compatible with the dye or pigment you are using and will not cause it to clump or separate.

3. Can I use food coloring or other natural dyes in my DIY permanent marker ink?

Yes, you can use food coloring or other natural dyes to create your own permanent marker ink. However, keep in mind that these dyes may not be as permanent or fade-resistant as synthetic dyes or pigments. You may also need to adjust the ratios of other ingredients in your ink to achieve the desired color and properties.

4. How can I make my DIY permanent marker ink waterproof?

If you want your DIY permanent marker ink to be waterproof, you will need to add a resin or polymer to the mixture. This will help the ink adhere to surfaces and prevent it from smudging or running when exposed to water. Some common resins used in permanent marker ink are acrylic, epoxy, or polyurethane.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when making my own permanent marker ink?

Yes, there are some safety precautions you should take when making your own permanent marker ink. As mentioned before, it is important to wear gloves and work in a well-ventilated area. You should also avoid inhaling or ingesting any of the ingredients and properly dispose of any unused ink or chemicals. If you have any allergies or sensitivities, be sure to research the ingredients and use caution when handling them.