Making a box to always fall on the same side

• Thread starter abcrwes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Fall
In summary, it is possible to add non-uniform mass to a cuboid box to force the center of gravity on a preferred point and ensure it always lands on the same side when dropped, even with non-uniform thickness or smoothened edges. However, the height from which it is dropped must be sufficient for the equilibrium velocity to be reached. Additionally, distributing the mass unevenly can aid in achieving stability. The object may also orient itself during free fall based on its air resistance and weight distribution.
abcrwes
Say I have a cuboid box (eg 120 * 60 * 10cm (lbh)). Is there a way I can add non-uniform mass to it to force the center of gravity on a preferred point (eg making one half heavier than other) - and then when I drop it horizontally or vertically, it always touches the ground at same side (but may be different edges)?

Eg: A shuttle cock always falls down on its heavier side. I understand aero-dynamics are involved. I want to know if the same can be done for a box. The box may also have non-uniform thickness or smoothened edges if that would force a solution. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the height is sufficient to reach the equilibrium velocity*, adding enough mass to the preferred side (and making the other parts very light) should work. It might be quite unstable if 10cm are the "height".

*the shuttle cock has a high air resistance and reaches this quite fast. If you drop it from 1-2cm above the ground, it will not always land on the right side. With 1m, it does.

Thank you for your reply. Wanted to confirm this:
The height from which the object will be dropped is 1m.

1) Will this happen even if the mass is distributed evenly? Eg: I may choose to distribute it such that the mass rises upto 2 cm or I may also distribute it unevenly such that it rises to 5cm on one side and 1 cm on the other.

My understanding - If the mass is distributed evenly, the center of gravity will still be in the center (but may be located lower or higher depending on which side is facing the ground). In that case, the object may not be unstable when dropped from a horizontal position (0 degrees)

2) Is there a way to design such that equilibrium velocity will be obtained quickly?

Basically my intention is to design a very small box container (around 120 * 60 * 15mm) that can hold upto 200g mass, and will not get damaged when dropped. I plan to keep a soft material on just one side with the objective that, the object when dropped will always hit at that side.

Doesn't the shuttlecock orient itself because the air resistance on the feathers is different than on the tip? If you create a weight distribution *inside* of an otherwise symmetrical box, you have not created any difference in air resistance between light side and heavy side. With equal air resistance (dictated by shape of box), light side and heavy side fall at same rate right? (equivalence principal).

I agree on the equivalence principal. But wanted to check what would be the scenario if an object is unstable when held horizontally. Will it try to get into a stable position even when falling down in motion?

Just realized that I got this *dead wrong*.

The acceleration of a box subject to some wind resistance force (f) will be:
a = g - f/m

The bigger its mass, the closer its free fall is to g.

A bowling ball size rubber ball could be held aloft using a leaf blower (large f). An actual bowling ball would come crashing right down.

abcrwes said:
1) Will this happen even if the mass is distributed evenly?
In this case, it will usually tend to get a small front area (~60mm x 15mm with the dimensions of post 3, not very stable). Opposite sides are perfectly symmetric.

2) Is there a way to design such that equilibrium velocity will be obtained quickly?
Make the object light and with a lot of air resistance.
However, one heavy side (the one which should be the bottom) will help to reach the correct orientation quickly.

1. How can I make a box always fall on the same side?

There are a few different methods that can be used to make a box always fall on the same side. One method is to add weights or weights to one side of the box, so that it is heavier on one side and will naturally fall in that direction. Another method is to use magnets or other magnetic materials on one side of the box, which will also cause it to consistently fall on that side.

2. Why would someone want to make a box always fall on the same side?

There are various reasons why someone might want to make a box always fall on the same side. One reason could be for practical purposes, such as ensuring that fragile objects inside the box are always protected by the same side. Another reason could be for entertainment or educational purposes, such as in a science demonstration to show the effects of weight distribution and gravity.

3. Is it possible to make a box always fall on the same side without using weights or magnets?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to make a box always fall on the same side. For example, you could attach a small wheel or ball to one side of the box, which will cause it to roll in that direction when it falls. Another option is to use a gyroscopic mechanism, which can help to stabilize the box and keep it from tipping over.

4. Are there any limitations to making a box always fall on the same side?

While there are various methods that can be used to make a box always fall on the same side, there are some limitations to consider. For example, adding too much weight or too many magnets to one side of the box could make it difficult to lift or move the box. Additionally, factors such as wind or uneven surfaces could still cause the box to fall on a different side.

5. Can the concept of making a box always fall on the same side be applied to other objects?

Yes, the concept of controlling the direction in which an object falls can be applied to other objects besides a box. Some examples include making a coin always land on the same side, or making a toy car always roll in the same direction. This concept is based on principles of physics and can be applied in various ways for different objects.