1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making a piecewise defined function differentiable

1. Oct 16, 2007 #1
    I have to find the values of a and b in terms of c so that this function is differentiable. Attached is the problem and my work, but I think that there's an error somewhere in my attempt. Any advice?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, check your derivative of 1/|x| at x=c. It's not zero. You made an algebraic mistake.

4. Oct 16, 2007 #3
    I see I forgot to distribute a negative sign on the left side's derivative, but that's trivial, because as h-->0, (-h) and (h) both approach 0.

Is there something else I'm missing? I've re-done the rest of the algebra, and I'm still getting 0.

EDIT: I see what went wrong. I moved the h up to the top of the fraction, instead of keeping it on the bottom.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  5. Oct 16, 2007 #4
    I think I've solved it (see attached). My only concern is that I've ignored the absolute value signs. Is this a problem? Or should I go back and work it through with two cases, one when X>0 or equal to 0 and one when X<0?

That seems to me the better way, but I'm wondering if it's necessary?

Attached Files:

6. Oct 16, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You posted an attachment, so I can't see it yet, but yes, you should probably do two cases. That's kind of what absolute values are all about.

7. Oct 17, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since f(x)= 1/|x| only for |x|> C for some positive number C, the derivative of 1/|x| at x=0 doesn't matter (fortunately)! What is crucial is the value and derivative of 1/|x| at x= C and x= -C.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?