Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making a shop press using a electric motor

1. Sep 28, 2016 #1
    I'd like to make a small shop press from an electric motor, say 18'' tall max, with 6" of travel. It should be able to press say 10,000 psi and hold for several second or even maybe indefinitely.

My question is two fold. First, what type of mechanical action would be best to turn circular motion to linear motion? A worm gear, toggle press, screw/servo, piston style press? Does it matter in terms of rigidity?

How would you design such a rig?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2016 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

10,000 psi over how large of an area? That tells you the total force you need to develop.

But the first design question is going to be, why do you want to use an electric motor instead of a hydraulic ram?

A hydraulic ram is far safer, a much more effective way of developing high forces in linear motion, and ridiculously inexpensive and durable. A 20 ton (10,000 psi across a 2"x2" area - a real brute by small shop standards) hydraulic press with 6" of travel might cost $200 ready to use, with most of the cost being the frame.

4. Sep 29, 2016 #3
    A fine pitch for lead screw combined with a high gear ratio driving the lead screw. You could use a ball screw if accuracy is needed.

5. Sep 30, 2016 #4
    Reminds me of this video:

6. Sep 30, 2016 #5

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Agree, the most effective method for developing high forces will be hydraulic. You could power the hydraulic ram using an electric pump if needed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted