Making a shop press using a electric motor

In summary, a hydraulic ram would be the most effective way to press 10,000 psi, but an electric motor can be used if accuracy is needed. The design would need to include a high gear ratio and a lead screw with a fine pitch for accuracy.
dylondylondylon
I'd like to make a small shop press from an electric motor, say 18'' tall max, with 6" of travel. It should be able to press say 10,000 psi and hold for several second or even maybe indefinitely.

My question is two fold. First, what type of mechanical action would be best to turn circular motion to linear motion? A worm gear, toggle press, screw/servo, piston style press? Does it matter in terms of rigidity?

How would you design such a rig?

Engineering news on Phys.org
10,000 psi over how large of an area? That tells you the total force you need to develop.

But the first design question is going to be, why do you want to use an electric motor instead of a hydraulic ram?

A hydraulic ram is far safer, a much more effective way of developing high forces in linear motion, and ridiculously inexpensive and durable. A 20 ton (10,000 psi across a 2"x2" area - a real brute by small shop standards) hydraulic press with 6" of travel might cost $200 ready to use, with most of the cost being the frame.

Likes Nidum, berkeman and billy_joule
dylondylondylon said:
I'd like to make a small shop press from an electric motor, say 18'' tall max, with 6" of travel. It should be able to press say 10,000 psi and hold for several second or even maybe indefinitely.

My question is two fold. First, what type of mechanical action would be best to turn circular motion to linear motion? A worm gear, toggle press, screw/servo, piston style press? Does it matter in terms of rigidity?

How would you design such a rig?
A fine pitch for lead screw combined with a high gear ratio driving the lead screw. You could use a ball screw if accuracy is needed.

Reminds me of this video:

Nugatory said:
But the first design question is going to be, why do you want to use an electric motor instead of a hydraulic ram?

Agree, the most effective method for developing high forces will be hydraulic. You could power the hydraulic ram using an electric pump if needed.

1. How does a shop press using an electric motor work?

A shop press using an electric motor works by using the rotational force of the motor to power a hydraulic system. The motor is connected to a pump that pressurizes hydraulic fluid, which then moves through a series of tubes and valves to the press cylinders. The press cylinders use this pressurized fluid to generate force and press objects together.

2. What are the advantages of using an electric motor in a shop press?

One advantage of using an electric motor in a shop press is that it provides consistent and reliable power. Electric motors also have the ability to vary the speed and force of the press, making them more versatile. Additionally, electric motors are often more energy efficient and require less maintenance compared to other types of motors.

3. How do I choose the right electric motor for my shop press?

Choosing the right electric motor for a shop press depends on several factors, such as the size and weight of the objects being pressed. It is important to consider the horsepower, speed, and torque of the motor, as well as the power source and any special features needed for the press. It is recommended to consult with a professional or refer to the motor's specifications to determine the best fit for your specific needs.

4. Can I make adjustments to the electric motor for different pressure requirements?

Yes, it is possible to make adjustments to the electric motor for different pressure requirements. This can be done by adjusting the speed and torque of the motor, as well as the pump and valve settings. It may also be possible to add or remove weights or use different press attachments to achieve the desired pressure.

5. Is it safe to use an electric motor for a shop press?

When properly installed and maintained, using an electric motor for a shop press is generally considered safe. However, it is important to follow all safety precautions and guidelines, such as wearing appropriate protective gear and ensuring the motor is turned off and unplugged before making any adjustments or maintenance. It is also recommended to regularly inspect the motor and all components for any signs of wear or damage.